Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Why are my periods becoming more frequent - is this the pre menopausal stage?

(9 Posts)
soretum Tue 11-Mar-08 16:45:47

sad
I am normally as regular as clockwork, but a couple of cycles ago I only had 3 weeks between periods. Then two months normal. Last period started 10 days ago, was quite slight, then today I have definite ovulation pain.

Could this be premenopause? I am 42.

It can be a sign of perimenopause I beleive.. but that can go on for ten years apparently, so it's not really the same as being menopausal.

I am 36 and about 3 years ago my cycles got shorter for a few months in a row, but they've been back to 28 days ish now for ages

I am the same - I used to have 6 week cycles but in the last few years it has reduced to 4 weeks and sometimes 3 weeks. I am 48 and assume that it must be premenopausal - it's a pain isn't it ?I thought that one of the few advantages of getting older was less periods not more !

You could always ask your gp to do a blood test to see if you are premenopausal - I had a test and was told that I'm not but feel sure that I am because of the increasing rate of my periods.

Hassled Tue 11-Mar-08 16:54:00

Oooh this is interesting. I'm 41 and after years of a 28 day cycle, they've gone down to about 24 or 25 days gradually over the last 9 months or so.

It's probably worth asking your GP about this.

soretum Tue 11-Mar-08 16:55:22

I read on the internet that as your oestrogen levels decline your periods become more frequent.

how can I boost it up again!!

Mercy Tue 11-Mar-08 17:11:32

Soretum, my periods starting getting more frequent shortly after I turned 42.

I can have several months of being regular and then several months of them happening every 20 days. Although atm the every 3 weeks is winning sad (I'm will be 45 in a few months)

Do you have any other symptoms?

beaniesteve Tue 11-Mar-08 17:14:04

Soretum - you can get estrogen from Alfalfa
Animal flesh
Anise seed
Apples
Baker's yeast
Barley
Beets
Carrots
Cherries
Chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
Clover
Cowpeas (black- eyed peas)
Cucumbers
Dairy Foods
Dates
Eggs
Eggplant
Fennel
Flaxseeds
Garlic
Hops
Licorice
Oats
Olive oil
Olives
Papaya
Parsley
Peas
Peppers
Plums
Pomegranates
Potatoes
Pumpkin
Red beans
Red clover
Rhubarb
Rice (relatively high)
Sage
Sesame seeds
Soybean sprouts
Soybeans
Split peas
Sunflower seeds
Tomatoes
Wheat
Yams

Mercy Tue 11-Mar-08 17:17:10

You've just reminded me Beanie - soya and linseed bread by a company called Burgen is meant to be good for menopausal women. You can get it in larger supermarkets.

I've always been pretty regular - 28-33 day cycle. But in the last 6 months I've had a couple of occasions where suddenly it's been 42 days.

Last time this happened I then had another period 2 weeks later!

I'm 48 so have assumed this is perimenopausal if not menopausal.

I don't really mind, just don't like the not knowing when it's going to happen!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now