Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

still having problems after gall bladder removal

(162 Posts)
Babyramone Sun 30-Dec-07 22:51:57

Hi have posted about this before.
Had my gall bladder removed in august since then have had 3 attacks similar to when I had gall stones. Had the 3rd atttack on friday and it was awful. Nearly phoned NHS24 but after taking both cocodamol and diclofenac got it under control. Anyway will be visiting G.P tomorrow but wondered if any onw else has experienced this.
I googled (bad idea i know)and there is a condition called Post Cholecystectomy Syndrome.
Has anyone had this?
I seem to remember someone mentioning this on a previous post, may be wrong though.

lobsterkiller Wed 18-Dec-13 19:18:53

Well just to update, I had a scan and there has been damage to the bile duct, which is quite normal from a GB op and causing my bile duct to spasm so it feels like an attack. I decided to experiment and cut out gluten as a starter for ten.....I've had no more "attacks". Hope this helps.

Hi.
I had my gb out on 30th nov.
I sadly got a chest infection post op which I am sure hasn't helped but I am getting horrendous back, rib and shoulder pain sad
I go back to see the cons on jan 8th..any tips? I don't want to take heavy pain killers and I have 2 young dc but it's pretty grim.
I am also trying to cut out wheat slough I have to say up to now it hasn't helped sad

Lancs1 Thu 09-Jan-14 11:07:24

You may find this abstract useful, published in the medical journal Gastrointestinal Endoscopy in 2008. Bear in mind that this is a small study and would need to be further investigated with a larger study.

BACKGROUND: Microlithiasis has been identified as a cause of idiopathic acute pancreatitis in patients with an intact gallbladder. Microlithiasis has also been identified in the bile of some patients who have undergone cholecystectomy. However, it is unknown whether bile microlithiasis causes postcholecystectomy pain.
OBJECTIVE: To identify bile microlithiasis in patients with postcholecystectomy pain and to investigate the therapeutic effect of ursodeoxycholic acid (urso) on such patients with microlithiasis in the bile.
DESIGN: Prospective randomized trial.
SETTING: Tertiary medical center.
PATIENTS: Patients with postcholecystectomy pain and bile crystals.
INTERVENTIONS: Urso treatment.
MAIN OUTCOME MEASUREMENTS: The severity and frequency of right upper-quadrant abdominal pain were compared with and without urso treatment, and before and after urso treatment.
RESULTS: A total of 118 patients with postcholecystectomy pain were screened for the study. Twelve patients (10%) were identified with bile crystals. In the first phase, 6 of these patients received urso treatment, whereas the other 6 patients did not receive urso treatment. In the second phase, the latter 6 patients were given the urso treatment. After using urso for a few months, their biliary-type abdominal pain significantly improved or resolved. In the control group, there was no improvement in symptoms. There was a significant difference between the 2 groups (P = .01).
LIMITATIONS: Single-center, small number of patients.
CONCLUSIONS: This study provided evidence that supports the hypothesis that bile microlithiasis is indeed a cause for postcholecystectomy pain. Patients with such postcholecystectomy pain may benefit from a microscopic examination of bile for crystals or microlithiasis, and urso treatment if bile crystals are identified.

nadarayon Fri 28-Mar-14 13:40:06

i had my gull bluder remove 15 years ago and still having the same attack horrible pain,,ive been in the hospital many times ,blood test always shows inflame in the Pancreas,last week i had a Hysterectomy,sinse 3 days each time I eat or take my medication im having same attack before my gol bluder remove with vometing,im in alot of pain im scard to eat or take antibiotic ,,,i liv in fear

Bethyboos Fri 04-Apr-14 23:35:51

I am writing this I case it could help anyone.

I had ERCP and then gallbladder removed last September. From about November last year I started getting the same pain as before gallbladder removed. The first pain lasted about 2 hours. After that I had the pain about twice a week and I learnt that if I kept drinking water and burping and lean forward then the intense (labour like) pain would go after about 10 minutes. The pain normally comes after eating large amounts of food or ice cream or margarine.

Saw GP and he gave me omeprazole but it didn't help.

Saw private consultant and he told me this intense pain is not normal after GB removal. Had scan and MRI and it turned out to be a stone in bile duct. It is not blocking duct but travelling up and down. Must have got there after last ERCP but before GB removed. Have to have ERCP again.

Bethyboos Sat 05-Apr-14 00:02:33

I want to add that the ultrasound scan did not show the stone but the MRI did so make sure you push for an MRI.

nannymary1 Sat 17-May-14 17:35:54

Thank goodness others have had problems after having their gall bladder removed, I thought I was going mad! I am unable to toleratevery much fat, if I do the outcome is not pleasant and very swift. It is over 6 years since my op and I have just had the most miserable holiday with really severe pain. I am due to hae a scan in a couple of weeks but in the meantime I have been perscribed Buscopan which does seem to cut down the time of the attacks.

Qhuier18 Wed 11-Jun-14 08:22:23

hello is anybody here knows about the urso treatment ? i wanna know about it .

1 month ago i undergo surgery (gallbladder removal) due to ihave full of galstones , 1 week after the surgery i found out that the pain that i'm having before the surgery is still there , until now i'm having the pain almost everyday and im tired of it. then i found this thread and read about the urso treatment research and been thinking of theres anyone else knows about it ? i really want to solve this pain . it kills me everyday i am a mom of two kid. its sad that i cant even took them care because of this pain .

claire12004 Sun 05-Oct-14 16:20:39

hi guys i had my Gall bladder removed in feb 14 wish i had kept the damn thing had first attack in nov 13 thought i was having a heart attack. back pain stomach pain sickness sweats i had never experience pain like it. finally had it removed in Feb thought great get my life back to normal. little did i know nearly 1 year on from first attack i`m still in agony cant work due to stomach pain bloating constant diorreha. i have just had a colonoscopy everything was normal, was prescribed omesprozle for acid back in Aug this year absolute waste of time. i cant even eat a roast dinner (without gravy) after 2 mins of eating im on the toilet, if i knew then what i knew now i would never had the surgery. now i have to see yet another consultant to see if i can have endoscopy (camera down throat) all blood test have come back normal( liver, kidneys pancreas ) anyone else having these problems? i was on Tramadol and diclofenic which i stopped after surgery as i didnt want to get depended on them and they made like a zombie lol. please help if anyone has these same problems.

rivetinla Sun 12-Oct-14 19:09:27

I just had gallbladder removed 9 days ago and everything has been fine until today. I am experiencing excrusitating back in my lower lumbar on both left and right. Deep breaths or any movement makes the pain worse. Anything I should worry about or will this pass?????

PinkSparklyElephant Mon 13-Oct-14 13:01:56

claire could the omesprozole be causing problems? I was put on lansoperazole after I had my gallbladder removed and it made me feel constantly sick, tired and generally ill. My GP was going to send me for an endoscopy but I decided to try coming off the lansoperazole and I feel a whole lot better and didn't have to have the endoscopy.

MNL0515 Mon 08-Dec-14 12:25:57

I had my gallbladder removed in April of this year. Found out I had gallstones while pregnant and had the removal surgery shortly after giving birth. I was one of the ones that had hundreds of tiny stones. I was in and out of the emergency so much while I had gallstones I didn't know what to do. And now that my gallbladder has been removed, I'm still having the same attacks as when I had it. I'm currently typing this while having an attack. I don't know what to do. My GP has put a referral in for me to see a GI doctor but I don't know what to do in the meantime to help with these episodes. I just want some relief and to be pain freeblush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now