Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can you buy inhalers over the counter in Boots in UK?

(12 Posts)
oxocube Wed 28-Nov-07 20:32:35

I am visiting my parents tomorrow and my asthma has been really bad lately - my inhaler is pretty low and I don't have time to order a new one here. I heard that some inhalers eg Ventolin, are available over the counter. Is this true?

MrsRecycle Wed 28-Nov-07 20:34:46

Oh this happened to me when I was visiting my parents and didn't have one and had a really bad attack. I went to the chemist and they prescribed me an emergency one and just faxed my Doctors for the prescription.

melanie341 Sat 20-Aug-16 04:46:07

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Linda3442 Sat 27-Aug-16 17:40:13

chocdonutyy Sat 27-Aug-16 17:43:46

If you have proof it is prescribed then you can get an emergency prescription from a pharmacy. Most supermarket ones are open at weekends.
A repeat slip, pharmacy label on box or sometimes just the inhaler, worth a try.

ScarletOverkill Sat 27-Aug-16 17:44:58

Asda sell the blue ones for £7 in their pharmacies

LockingJay Sat 27-Aug-16 17:45:50

I had the same experience as Mrs recycle. Went in to chemist explained and they gave an inhaler after contacting doctors surgery.

PitchFork Sat 27-Aug-16 17:46:16

no, salbutamol is prescription only.
I have heard that chemists might be able to give one inhaler as a stop gap. but not sure how that would work if away from home, i.e. not your usual chemist.

DottyGiraffe Sat 27-Aug-16 20:37:31

Yes, ASDA do and Superdrug do if you've got a copy of your prescription.

ASDA I didn't need a script but had a consultation with the pharmacist.

This was pre- electronic prescriptions though so maybe they can access those now, I don't know.

FruitCider Sat 27-Aug-16 20:42:29

Yes Asda dispense salbutamol without a prescription as a patient group direction.

Meliss134 Sun 28-Aug-16 22:02:50

melanie342 Tue 13-Sep-16 17:59:34

I think it's easier if you can buy from this licensed u.k pharmacy without a previous prescription if you're approved by their easy online doctor consultation

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now