Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Night time coughing in a toddler

(24 Posts)
Psychobabble Sun 18-Nov-07 20:09:07

My ds 2.8 is coughing at night. He seems fine in the day but seems to cough just after going to bed. It settles down later in the night. He isn't waking up with it and it doesn't seem to distress him. Should I be worried about this? He had croup a couple of weeks ago and the coughing has been every night since then.

NAB3littlemonkeys Sun 18-Nov-07 20:11:22

Has asthma been mentioned?

Psychobabble Sun 18-Nov-07 20:15:25

well that is what I am worried about as I have asthma. Do you think it could be that? My asthma has never really manifested itself in night time coughing, but I know that is a symptom. I have been listening for wheezing but haven't heard any. He does sometimes seem out of breath after running around a lot and I am not sure if this is normal tbh.

colditz Sun 18-Nov-07 20:16:40

Ds1 had this - it was asthma. I hate to tell you this, but it has been getting steadily worse for 2 yearssad

Psychobabble Sun 18-Nov-07 20:19:41

oh shit shit shit
perhaps a trip to the doctor is in order
how on earth do you treat asthma in a 2 year old???

Psychobabble Sun 18-Nov-07 20:28:09

anyone had night time coughing that didn't turn out to be asthma?
Please?!

mazmack Sun 18-Nov-07 20:32:09

I would think it is very likely to be left over mucous in his chest from the croup..you can have a cough for several weeks after any chest infection, and they are usually worse at night!

Psychobabble Sun 18-Nov-07 20:33:36

thanks mazmack, I am really really hoping this doesn't turn out to be asthma

mazmack Sun 18-Nov-07 20:39:54

I think it would still be useful to have him checked out by GP though, just to set your mind at rest at least!!

Psychobabble Sun 18-Nov-07 20:41:18

thanks I will smile

amazonianwoman Sun 18-Nov-07 20:56:59

My DD 3.5 and DS 8mths are both coughing a lot from bedtime til around 11pm. Neither have asthma, just bloody awful colds + coughs that just seem to manifest themselves at night.

Hope your DS is OK - still worth checking with GP.

coby Sun 18-Nov-07 21:05:17

My two (3.5 and 18months) have this all the time after they have had a cold. They are fine all day then cough at night (sometimes all night). It doesn't seem to bother them too much - it's just the way the mucous runs down their throat when they lay down. Propping the cot or bed up at one end with books (or similar) does help but mine are at a big angle and they still cough a lot.

Neither of mine have asthma but you are unlikely to stop worrying until you get it checked out so best do that to preserve your sanity grin.

Good luck

Psychobabble Sun 18-Nov-07 21:06:51

thanks all, always something to worry about isn't there?

coby Sun 18-Nov-07 21:09:22

kids eh? Who'd have 'em???

Hope it all works out well.

Pickie Sun 18-Nov-07 21:13:43

same here DS nearly always coughs at night and what seem to make it less is a good clean and wash the covers 60C..

Psychobabble Sun 18-Nov-07 22:09:17

thanks will try that too

Elibean Sun 18-Nov-07 22:12:11

If he has a postnasal drip, he'll cough at night, even without asthma. I do. But I would definitely get him checked out - dd1 started doing this after a cold, at 3, and she is borderline asthmatic...only comes on when she has a cold/cough, and doesn't bother her much, but means she goes on to have chest infections if I don't use an inhaler at those times. So was worth knowing about.

Niecie Sun 18-Nov-07 22:17:49

Are you sure he doesn't have a virus? How long has he been coughing? There is a cough virus going round at the moment which seems to be much worse at night and it seems to last for several weeks for some people.

Definitely get him checked out if you are worried, especially with a family history of asthma but if it is just a virus, we find that Benylin's Coughs and Colds seems to stop my boys from coughing for a few hours and it helps them sleep too.

Whizzz Sun 18-Nov-07 22:19:42

The Boots plug in vaporiser things are also great for night time coughs.

MrsSlocomb Sun 18-Nov-07 22:22:13

psycobabble, my 22 month old has this. I asked the asthma nurse about it and he said it was very difficult to diagnose in one so young. he gave me a spacer and some ventilin to use on dd3 at night. I must say I haven't as I suspected that her coughing was to do with the seemgingly endless cold the dances its merry way round our family.
Ds1 has asthma and is coughing alot atm.

DS2 often has weeks of night time coughing after a cold. The dr said it can take weeks for it to clear but is nothing to worry about. Last time he had it we were worried that it might be asthma but eventually, after about 6 weeks, it did go away on its own.

Psychobabble Sun 18-Nov-07 22:26:34

it's been going on for a few weeks now, i guess he might just have had a series of viruses, I know i have. Thanks for all your responses.

KathG Mon 19-Nov-07 09:45:35

ours was cow's milk intolerance leading to reflux which manifested itself a couple of hours after she went to bed. (DH asthmatic so we were worried.)

mummyblueyes Mon 19-Nov-07 13:46:12

Mine has asthma, coughs all night on and off when the weather goes cold like this.

Has had an inhaler with spacer device and rubber mouthpiece since the age of 2.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now