Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Full marks or Hedrin for head lice?

(58 Posts)
NitHater Sun 09-Sep-07 15:55:26

Which one is best? I have shortlisted it down to these 2 treatments as I know the others are crap.

DD is infested yet again. Ihave caught them too angry oh the joy.

WideWebWitch Sun 09-Sep-07 16:06:06

You don't need either, you can comb through every night with conditioner

ArcticRoll Sun 09-Sep-07 16:08:41

Have used Full Marks and wasn't impressed.

Lots of friends have recommended Hedrin but I'm with www; using leave-in conditioner and nitty gritty comb.

Neverenoughhandbags Sun 09-Sep-07 16:09:51

I have to say that I avoid them and just use the old nit comb, gallons of conditioner and daily combing til you don't get anymore out-you have to persevere for a week or so but it works.
To answer your question, which one works better depends on whether the headlice are resistant to one or other in your area-ask your pharmacist.

Mars Sun 09-Sep-07 16:10:07

conditioner and nit comb. Only thing that works!

tissy Sun 09-Sep-07 16:11:01

neither

scienceteacher Sun 09-Sep-07 16:11:36

I prefer Full Marks - it is so much cheaper than Hedrin (from Costco).

Neither.....you need a Nitty Gritty comb and a gallon of conditioner.......MUCH better than topical treatments. It actually gets the eggs out as well as the adults.

scienceteacher Sun 09-Sep-07 16:16:15

Conditioner is not a great thing to use lots of, or to leave on the hair for a while. It is designed to be something that is rinsed off within a couple of minutes of applying.

It contains quite a lot of relatively harsh chemicals - put a blob on your forearm and leave for 10 minutes or so, and you are likely to have quite a red patch on your skin. The silicone in Hedrin/Full Marks is altogether much kinder to the skin.

jalopy Sun 09-Sep-07 16:28:16

I used to be an ardent fan of conditioner/comb until my dd had the 'infestation from hell' this summer.
We religiously spent weeks trying to get rid of the eggs to no avail. Finally resorted to using Full marks and it did the trick.
Everyone has a different story to tell smile

Jalopy - did you try the Nitty Gritty? Cos I have found that it does get rid of the eggs so long as you are very thorough?

lou33 Sun 09-Sep-07 16:35:46

with 4 kids i dont have time to comb through every night with conditioner so i perfer hedrin

Blandmum Sun 09-Sep-07 16:36:28

for me, nit comb and conditioner.

Never tried the others so I can't help, sorry.

Blandmum Sun 09-Sep-07 16:37:12

I always wash the conditioner off at the end BTW, unless it is a special 'leave in' one.

lucyellensmum Sun 09-Sep-07 16:37:59

clean/condition/comb leave the nit without a home DD1 had a more or less constant infestation when at school, her hair is really thick and a nightmare to get rid of. You can use a tea tree based shampoo to deter the little blighters.

There is a certain flea preparation that i know people have used and it works really well, of course i wouldnt dream of advocating that.

I dont think you need leave the conditioner in for any length of time and you could go for a childs conditioner so it is mild, i would try this over pesticides first. Or maybe the approach could be, one dose of full marks, i have used this and found it ok and then religeous combing out at least twice a week.

jalopy Sun 09-Sep-07 16:38:34

SMS, I'm the proud owner of 4 different types of combs including nitty gritty. Even got a double edged nit comb....oh and a battery operated one that is supposed to electrocute the lice.grin

lucyellensmum Sun 09-Sep-07 16:40:19

lou33, i know what you mean about the constant combing though, and i only had one DD to deal with, in the end, i taught her to do it herself. She would do it every other night. I have it all to face again with DD2 woohooo

scienceteacher Sun 09-Sep-07 16:42:19

I don't think products get rid of eggs (nits) - you can only do that with combing (apparently, the cement the lice use to attach the eggs to the hair shaft is amazingly similar to keratin, according to a website I came across). The products are used to kill the live lice.

I've definitely found the silicone-based products far more effective and easier to use than conditioner. I've tried everything over the last 4 years - electic comb, traditional lice treatments, conditioner, mayonnaise, and silicone. Until recently, nothing we tried never cracked the problem 100%. Since discovering Full Marks, we've been lice free, and that must be over 6 months now.

NitHater Sun 09-Sep-07 18:46:58

Thanks. How much is Hedrin bTW? I know full marks cost me nearly £11 angry.

NitHater Sun 09-Sep-07 18:50:18

sciencetecher - agree about the products not getting rid of the nits - only thorough combing will do the trick and even then I am sure there are still some nits still in there. My DD has very fine hair which makes the buggers harder to get out angry.

Copper Sun 09-Sep-07 18:50:37

Hedrin - best ever. £18 for 2 bottles at Boots at the moment. It does get rid of them, but they do catch them again ....

Blandmum Sun 09-Sep-07 18:51:36

what you can do with the nits (egg sacs) is get the hair nice and slippery, and slide them along the whole lenth of the hair shaft. A pain, but you can shift them

southeastastra Sun 09-Sep-07 19:04:48

hedrin is incredibly oily to put on and wash off. it's really expensive too.

NitHater Sun 09-Sep-07 19:25:06

Does it kill the eggs though (Hedrin)?

Pinkchampagne Sun 09-Sep-07 19:32:19

Hedrin is better than Full Marks, and it doesn't make their hair smell awful for weeks after either!

Bounder Sun 09-Sep-07 19:33:14

No it smothers them apparently. Used it recently with great success during summer hols after combing had obviously missed one or two (or they were re-infected at school more likely) and I was really fed up. You have to do two treatments a week apart to get the new lice though

scienceteacher Sun 09-Sep-07 20:07:17

Full Marks is odorless

scienceteacher Sun 09-Sep-07 20:11:49

I bought Full Marks in Costco for something like £8 for 3 bottles, so much cheaper than going through Boots or the local Pharmacy. It meanst that you can use it without having to thnk too hard - for example, when DD had a sleepover birthday party, I doused all three of my DDs afterwards without checking their status.

It seems that in a pharmacy Hedrin and Full Marks cost about the same as the insecticide-based treatments.

I have to agree with Slightlymad - the Nitty Gritty comb is the only thing that worked for us - we struggled with the little blighters for about six years (yes, really} until we found out about the comb, and we've been clear since.

Pinkchampagne Sun 09-Sep-07 20:17:22

I was mixing Full Marks up with another treatment, which was quite effective, but very smelly!

I remember using Full Marks now - it claims to kill headlice in 10 mins or so, is that the one?
If so, I found it totally useless!

sarah573 Sun 09-Sep-07 21:22:17

I would definitelty go for Hedrin over fullmarks - which I found useless.

I also think lyclear is quite good (the chemical variety of it). It kills the eggs too which is a bonus, and is really nice to put on, and wash off - feels like conditioner.

If anyone has a Lloyds chemist its on BOGOF at the moment. I got 2 double packs (so 4 bottles) for £7 - and theres enough in one bottle for me and DD.

NitHater Sun 09-Sep-07 22:02:43

I found lyclear shite personally.

Thanks everyone for any advice. I will stick with full marks.

seeker Sun 09-Sep-07 22:17:25

Hedrin or Lice Attack are the best - and I have tried them all. We now use Lice Attack once a week whether we think we;ve got them or not (as it's non chemical it's OK to do this) It is an excellent shampoo - the coconut oil conditions the haair beautifully. And we haven't had a problem since I started doing this. We're broke- but we don't have lice!

seeker Sun 09-Sep-07 22:20:00

And because both hedrin and lice attack suffocate the little b***rs they can't becoame immune to them like they can the chemical treatments.

Full Marks does not kill eggs
Hederin does not kill eggs
Lyclear does not kill eggs

Nitty Gritty does destroy 100% of eggs it comes into contact with (according to their literature) and IME I have found this to be teh case. I have treated 4-6 infestations with the Nitty Gritty and I have only seen 23 immature lice which have hatched (or alked over from someone else in class).

Fair enough Nitty Gritty is not for everyone, but I have 2 6year olds with long fine, wavey tangly hair and I work practically full time and I manage to comb. First comb through of an attack I spend up to 45 mins combing each of them. After that I do a quick 15 min comb every 2-3 nights for 10 days to catch any eggs that I have missed.

that should be 2-3 immature lice (not 23)

NitHater Mon 10-Sep-07 08:27:16

So basically only the nitty gritty will kill the eggs?

Pinkchampagne Mon 10-Sep-07 08:33:26

What's a nitty gritty??

NorksDrift Mon 10-Sep-07 08:38:25

Did anyone see this on the news? Only £30 a treatment!!

tissy Mon 10-Sep-07 12:03:04

nitty gritty does not kill eggs, it gets them out of the hair, thus stopping them hatching on the head

orangehead Mon 10-Sep-07 12:53:06

try nitty gritty repellant spray, u can get it of the internet. u spray it on every morning b4 school, i have been using it 6 months and they have not got nits again despite it still going around shool. six months on and using it on 2 kids still a 1/3 of bottle left, so good value

tissy according to the Nitty Gritty blurb it does actually destroy all teh eggs the cpmb comes into contact with - even if it doesn get them out.

scienceteacher Mon 10-Sep-07 20:59:46

The Nitty Gritty comb is fairly effective at mechanically removing the nits (redundant egg shells) from the hair shaft. It hurts though. I don't think it can seriously impact live eggs.

bigwombat Mon 10-Sep-07 21:04:36

Combing here too (much to dd's disgust), but also tried Lyclear at the end of a particularly pesky infestation and it seemed to do the trick.

bigwombat Mon 10-Sep-07 21:06:23

My comb is double-edged, but I don't think it shifts the eggs - I remove those that I can see by hand by pulling off between my nails. Bloody nightmare!

\ink{http://www.nittygritty.co.uk/ng/index.jsp?page=/productInfo.jsp&productId=3\Science teacher I refer you to teh Nitty Gritty website}

and quote:

"Quick, easy to use and chemical-free, the revolutionary Nitty Gritty NitFree comb is the most effective way to remove and destroy lice, eggs (unhatched lice) and nits (empty, hatched egg shells).

The NitFree comb removes and destroys 100% of all lice and eggs with its patented microgrooved steel teeth."

I have seen the eggs (unhatched) it has removed. I rinse my comb in a glass of water and I can see them sink to teh bottom.
Nitty Gritty does reomve and destroy eggs and I categorically state that from personal experience. I don't think it is hte kindest comb in hte world to the hair shaft but it does not hurt to use (I have done myself).

PS bigwombat I used to have a double bladed' comb which claimed to get teh eggs out. It didn't, it was crap. Nitty Gritty is fab though and I would pay £30 to replace mine if I ever had to.

scienceteacher Mon 10-Sep-07 21:48:15

It might remove a few unhatched eggs, but it can't remove all of them.

I C&P a post I made back in May. Seriously I got out 150ish eggs over 4 days from 2 children and saw one nymph that had hatched. Yes you have to be thorough (45mins each on 1st day, 15 mins subsequent days) - but it works. And before you ask - yes I know they we eggs. I could see them on the strands before the Nitty Gritty pulled them out and I am a scientist. I know the difference between a egg, nymph, louse and nit...I even got my pocket magnifier out once grin. I didn't believe how effective it could be until I tried it. I just thought I was buying a sturdy head lice comb, and that any eggs pulled out were a bonus. I actually quite like counting my eggs and lice in my pint glass grin.

Anyway - my previous post...

"DTDs have just had one of the worst episodes of headlice we have had (and I know people have much worse - we have been v lucky)

10 days ago (day 0) I removed 5 adults and about 60-80 eggs with the nitty gritty from DTD1. DTD2 had 2 adults and about 30 eggs.
Day 2 - I removed about 20-30 eggs from DTD1 and about 6-10 eggs from DTD2
Day 4 - I removed about 6 eggs and 1 tiny louse from DTD1 and nothing from DTD2.
Day 8 - I removed nothing from either.

So from the 120-150 or so eggs which seem to have been laid - only 1 apears to have hatched.
Thats 119-149 eggs which the nitty gritty has removed.
Thats 119-149 lice which have not got to the point of crawling round DTDs heads making them itch
Thats 119-149 lice which have not been liberated from their heads, free to infect me, DP, DD3 or classmates - how sociable is that?
Thats 119-149 lice which I have not had to chase around their head with a crappy bug-buster omb with 3 missing teeth

The NITTY GRIITY rocks!!!!"

bigwombat Mon 10-Sep-07 22:14:42

Brilliant SMS !! I must get one of those!

You can get them in Boots now. They are £10 a shot but they are worth it.

I do recommend rincing comb in jug/glass of water to see what you are pulling out. And also attack the strands of hair from different angles to make sure you catch them all. They are the best tips I picked up on the Nitty Gritty website.

Oh and the most important thing...you must pull the comb all the way to teh end of the hair. You can't remove it 1/2 way down because of the teeth.

amidaiwish Tue 09-Oct-07 11:04:54

AHHHH DD1 has nits.

used some lotion overnight
washed it out this morning and spent an hour wet combing
have ordered a nitty gritty pack over the web, come on postmen, back to work I NEED IT.

anyway, my question is do I:
1) just condition/wetcomb DD2 and me and only treat if i find anything?
2) treat both of us now with Full Marks 20 min mousse

and do i need to strip her bedding and wash everything?

Theclosetpagan Tue 09-Oct-07 11:10:10

Full Marks every time

I tried Hedrin and tbh thought it was crap. It certainly did not get rid of DS's headlice. Despite two treatments followed to the letter.

Full Marks on the other hand got rid of them in one go.

Theclosetpagan Tue 09-Oct-07 11:11:01

Check bedding - I found two dopey looking headlice on DS's pillow when I checked. Did a 90 degree wash.

dalek Tue 09-Oct-07 11:15:44

Sorry - haven't had a chance to read all of this but I read on mumsnet ages ago that instead of conditioner for wet combing - use baby oil. The nits can't hold on and they are all easily combed out. It must be baby oil (or some mineral oil) as the particles are bigger - this makes a difference apparently. But - I kid you not - it worked brilliantly. I thought I had combed out most of the nits then I put DD in the bath and put the baby oil on her hair and combed through with nit comb - I thought I was going to throw up - about 20 nits fell out. After that always used baby oil - no nasties, no nits, nice smell - but a bugger to wash out.

Good luck anyway.
x

amidaiwish Tue 09-Oct-07 11:19:18

great - thanks for advice!

so i will do the bedding

do i need to treat us or just wet comb and treat if anything suspect??

FioFio Tue 09-Oct-07 11:20:32

Message deleted

FattyChick Tue 09-Oct-07 12:41:06

I might baby oil. I have tried everything else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now