Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Mirena coil and headaches?

(9 Posts)

I had a coil fitted in February, seemed fine for a couple of months, but I'm getting increasing numbers of headaches. The last 6 weeks, it's been every 2 weeks, and they last around 3-4 days despite taking nurofen etc. I've always suffered from headaches around my cycle, but could the increase be to do with the Mirena? I wondered if anyone else has had anything similar?

TIA.

bump. everyone must be outside, or maybe it's just me with this side effect...?

bigcar Fri 10-Aug-07 14:31:39

I always get a migraine with my period, so i've been told i can only take the mini pill as it doesn't have oestrogen in it, or something like that anyway, apparently its caused by hormones. Don't know if thats any help to you at all!

LIZS Fri 10-Aug-07 14:40:50

I occasionally get headaches, but most often just before a bleed. Certainly not to the extent you describe so wonder if it is coincidental.

onlyWotz Fri 10-Aug-07 14:44:44

did you see the old long thread over 800 posts > here

lots of various views. I decided not to go ahead about 2 months ago after reading some of the posts.

hope you feel better soon.

bigcar, yes, that's why I tried this, because it's only progesterone, and I had a terrible time on the pill because of the oestrogen. I was fine on the Depo injection. So maybe it is coincidental like LIZS says.

thanks for the link Onlywotz, I'll have a look at that thread later...

onlyWotz Fri 10-Aug-07 14:59:38

nurofen on a regular basis is not good...long term this is not a solution....

just read other thread (well some) - I'm also bloated, get PMT symptoms (never did before) and feel knackered most of the time. I think it's time it came out.

Thanks all.

exactly. been through dozens of the things, was even wondering if the headaches were actually withdrawal from nurofen, I've taken that many.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now