Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Why do my baby's toenails keep splitting and breaking off?

(9 Posts)
bohemianbint Wed 04-Jul-07 15:06:43

has anyone experienced this? It looks like it must be painful for him and it keeps happening! What can I do to stop it?

TootyFrooty Wed 04-Jul-07 15:08:45

It happens to my dses and they are 1.5 and 2.5. My nieces and nephews have it too. I think it's Just One of Those Things.

it saves you cutting the tops of his toes off whilst trying to cut them yourself though. I dont think its painful for them, happens to my ds all the time.

bohemianbint Wed 04-Jul-07 15:38:53

hmmm...it's quite bad though. FOr example at the moment half of his big toenail has broken and come right off, so he only has half a nail. Looked a bit bleedy as well.

bohemianbint Wed 04-Jul-07 19:20:23

bump!

aardvarktwo Wed 04-Jul-07 19:27:53

Is your DS crawling around?

This happened to my three and by the time the third was crawling I had worked out that they caught in the cracks in the floorboards which kept bending them back. Ick. Didn't seem to bother them though.

Nothing I can do about it and their nails get much better when they start walking.

bohemianbint Wed 04-Jul-07 19:31:50

yeesh, I hadn't thought of that. Could well be as well because he won't wear socks. Good to hear it gets better though!

JARM Wed 04-Jul-07 19:32:58

My 2 have this too. Nearly 3 and 21mnths

Think it is one of those things, am sure as they get older the nails will harden

Califrau Wed 04-Jul-07 19:41:43

I did say when my 2 were small that I didnt think I made very good toenails. They were all flakey and spplitty and just not nice - they were both born 2 wks late and had peeely weeeely feet- they were over cooked! They are 4 and 7 (tomorrow and Sunday!) and have beautiful toenails now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now