Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ingredients for Elizabeth ARDEN 8 HOUR CREAM. Please. Desperate to get rid of MOLLUSCUM

(14 Posts)
pixiefish Sun 05-Sep-04 19:24:19

Anyone have a bottle of Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream that they could list the ingredients from for me please. I'm off to the doc's on thursday with 7 month dd who has an awful lot of these blasted molluscum all over her torso. I've heard on MN that this cream is good for getting rid of molluscum but need the ingredients to check with gp as dd is so young.
many many thanks

mit Sun 05-Sep-04 19:31:46

I've annoyingly thrown the box away but the active ingredient listed on the tube is Petrolatum 56.8% W/W.
It really is a wonder cream - great for sunburn too.
HTH, mit x

hmb Sun 05-Sep-04 19:38:08

That will be vaselene then. Nothing magical!

Twiglett Sun 05-Sep-04 19:41:02

message withdrawn

mit Sun 05-Sep-04 19:43:59

Just found this review online - the full ingredients are listed at the bottom. mit x

Pros
Great for all skin types, dermatologically tested

Cons
Works out to be $14 per ounce! Use sparingly

Full Review
A hidden jewel in the Elizabeth Arden range is the Visible Difference Eight-Hour Cream Skin Protectant is one of those great finds, which becomes indispensable in your skin care armory.

I discovered the product quite by chance, when a friend recommended it to me for my jet lagged and dehydrated skin. Initially I thought it smelt like a diaper cream or something that your Grandmother might give you for a bad rash! I certainly did not think it would live up to its claim of being an all-purpose cream that protects, soothes and moisturizes the skin. I applied it to my dried up face and slept off the effects of my long ten-hour flight. On waking I found a smooth, glowing and re-hydrated face with softness I have rarely felt.

Elizabeth Arden Visible Difference Eight-Hour Cream Skin Protectant can be used to soothe skin irritations, burns, abrasions, sunburn and yes, some rashes too! It's great on chapped lips, rough feet and hard skin. I have even used it as a nipple cream! It's spectacular when applied to your face prior to and during a long flight - you'll arrive at your destination without that washed out look! My husband and son even use it when I told them that it was rumored the Swiss Army uses the stuff on maneuvers! Keep it handy in the kitchen - it's great on minor scalds. It is NOT, however, suitable for puncture wounds.

What makes this cream so great is the price. It usual retails around $14.00 for a 50ml (1.7 fl oz) tube. That sounds pricey but my tube has lasted me over two years now. You need only use it sparingly, despite the directions to "Apply liberally" (well, they would say that, wouldn't they?!). It has the consistency of lanolin, so less is more.

Ingredients are as follows:

Petrolatum 56.8%, Lanolin, Mineral Oil, Fragrance, Salicylic Acid, Propyparaben, Castor Oil, Corn Oil, Tocopherol, BHT, Iron Oxides

I would not recommend this classic product as a daily moisturizing cream but as a special treat when your skin is screaming for some 'TLC'!

hmb Sun 05-Sep-04 19:54:02

The major component is petroleum, which is what makes up vaselene.....that would be a lot cheaper. Lanolin and mineral oil will act as moisturisers as well. The salicylate is a similar chemical entity to aspirin, but is present in smaller quanitities than the perfume in it. You might be better off buying vaselene, you can get a big pot for a few quid.

pixiefish Sun 05-Sep-04 20:11:03

Thank you all ever so much.
hmb- i might try the vaseline first and see if that works.
twiglett- i'm tempted to leave them but have seen pics when they 'converge'. poor dd has suffered a dribble rash or sililar on her face for ages now and now this. she's got one on her face and i would like to try and stop it.
mit- thanks for the research- i did try and find something online but failed miserably.
having a crap day for other reasons- thanks you lot for cheering me up
anyone got any other ideas/cures

janinlondon Mon 06-Sep-04 08:50:38

Pixiefish, don't know where you are located, but at the big dermatology depts at most teaching hospitals they will now suggest treatment rather than the old "wait and see" attitude of GPs. Kings in London is doing a trial on whether a less concentrated solution (5% or 2.5% as opposed to the 10% used in most trials) will work as well. I posted about this a month or so ago. They are still recruiting if you want to join. You would need a letter from your GP - post if you are interested and I will repeat the details for you.

codswallop Mon 06-Sep-04 09:07:29

LOl I was talking about his yesterday

earlygirl Mon 06-Sep-04 09:11:50

pixiefish the calendolon cream on this site here

(to find cream go to box that says remedy finder on right hand side click and it is near middle of second table as you scroll down lhs)
it is amazing it may be just what you are looking for -i use it on patchy excema and dry irritated skin

i have used it on face and eyes of my newborn ds for dry skin and its just the best cream ever
some of the ingredients are similar to 8 hr cream but are much more natural
imho its much better (i have both)
hth

pixiefish Mon 06-Sep-04 19:06:26

thanks janinlondon I live in north wales so don't know whether they'd take us on. am interested though and will see gp on thursday hopefully

iota Mon 06-Sep-04 19:10:17

Salicylic Acid - is what they use to get rid of warts and veruccas - no wonder you face glows!!!

babster Mon 06-Sep-04 19:18:11

Pixiefish - I have a 15ml tester tube of 8 hour cream that I don't use (got excited when I found out Cat Deeley swears by it but it did nothing for me - too greasy!). If you'd like it, just contact me via CAT. Seems a shame to waste it when it's expensive stuff...

pixiefish Mon 06-Sep-04 21:10:54

thanks babster. will do that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now