Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Fallen on face, badly swollen and bruised - advise please!

(29 Posts)
Hulababy Mon 19-Jul-04 18:54:37

Help!

Mollie (2y 3m) fell over onto her face this afternoon (about 2:30pm) whilst out for the day. She was playing in and out of the story book houses at Sundown and I can only assume that she tripped over and fell on the side of her face, or knowked her face against the big chair int he house. I was outside the house - only little and meant for the kiddies really.

She cried out a lot and her face looked sore, her lip a little swollen. Her nose bled very very briefly but not bad. She had a cuddle and not long after a 30 minute nap - was nap time anyway.

Anyway we are now at home and her face is so swollen down one side. Her cheek is swollen and bruised and her lip at that side is huge Her teeth look okay and her nose isn't swollen - although I think it may be sore to touch.

She had Calpol at the time, and has just had some Nurofen. She refuses to have a cold compress near her. And bless her she can't use her dummy as it hurts too much. She has called out in pain a few times on and off but nothing too bad.

But what next? Does she need to go to A&E? Or should I just take her to the GPs in the morning if till painful - I am expecting it to be?

What would you do?

hercules Mon 19-Jul-04 18:57:17

I would go to a&e just in case or you'll worry all night. Any bump to the head.

Poor baby

hercules Mon 19-Jul-04 18:57:30

I would go to a&e just in case or you'll worry all night. Any bump to the head.

Poor baby

Hulababy Mon 19-Jul-04 19:01:20

She currently seems settled on the sofa with a blanket and teddy, watching TV. She is only crying out if the cheeck/mouth is touched or she forgets and tries to use her dummy. I don't think anything is broken though... Oh I hate this! My beuatiful baby is all swollen up and hurt and I can't do anything to help.

I will keep an eye on here for a little while but may phone GPs if it gets worse - we have 24 hour number which is quite good I think. A&E is only 5 minute walk so...

Hulababy Mon 19-Jul-04 19:35:45

Sny other advise on how to reduce the swelling and bruising?

suedonim Mon 19-Jul-04 19:37:28

Do you have any arnica cream to put on it, or would she take the tiny arnica tablets, Hulababy? Something that might amuse her is to wrap a packet of frozen peas in a cloth to put on her face. Maybe she'd eat ice cream, a lolly or an ice cube, to calm it down from the inside.

Unless there's a cut that needs stitching or you think there's a broken bone, it's hard to think what else even a dr or A&E could do to help. I've always been amazed at how children actually get over these bumps and next day, it's as if nothing had ever happened! Hope you have a peaceful night.

Cadbury Mon 19-Jul-04 19:38:13

Poor thing. Might she suck some ice or an ice lolly? That might desensitize her enough for you to get a cold compress on the outside. Arnica cream seems to have done wonders with my little ones horrific bruises once they can be touched. I would get her checked out though. You can't be too carefull.

Cadbury Mon 19-Jul-04 19:39:12

Goodness suedonim! Great minds!

Hulababy Mon 19-Jul-04 19:40:52

I tried the frozen peas idea but she won't let me anywhere near. I have some FAB lollies in the freezer - will try them. I can always finish it!!!

No arnica - if I get some tomorrow would it still help?

Thanks BTW.

noddy5 Mon 19-Jul-04 19:40:57

Keep an eye on her I think you only need to worry if she has been sick.The ice lolly is a great idea

Janh Mon 19-Jul-04 20:41:58

Hula, when DD1 was this age she regularly fell on her face, we have photos (it's Aries you know, they always hurt their heads - honest!) She usually ended up with a fat lip, and looked terrible, but after it went down there was nothing to show for it. If DD will take a lolly that will numb the pain a bit but otherwise try not to worry (difficult I know!) and she will be fine and will look no different, trust me!

Yorkiegirl Mon 19-Jul-04 20:46:09

Message withdrawn

Hulababy Mon 19-Jul-04 20:51:38

She refused the lolly so I had to have that instead

She is now in bed but awake. I think she is finding it strange to sleep without her dummy. Instead she has 3 of them clutched in her hand!!!And as many teddies as she could fit in.

She seems lots calmer and more settled. I imagine the Nurofen is at full speed now, after 2 hours but may start to wear off soon. She can have a top up of Calpol then though.

Very comforting to thing it will go down and no sign will be left. It is a horrible reminder to me that I can't make it go away at the moment.

Still DD is unconcerned by the look of it at the moment. Daddy told her she was his beautiful girl but she told he "no I'm not, I'm gorgeous"!!!

Will remember that Aries thing! She really is quite clumsy and accident prone at the moment!

Chandra Mon 19-Jul-04 22:47:05

Hula, hope she is fine now, DS fell yesterday and bump his head against a coffee table, we took him to A&E and got the following advice:

-Very rarely complications develop but any child who has a head injury should be watched carefully specially during thr first 48 hrs.

- You should keep her quiet, can eat and drink if she wishes but if she doesn't want any for 4-6 hrs is OK.

- you can allow her to go to sleep but check regularly that she is rousable (no need to wake her completely), check again at regular intervals during the night.

Seek medical advice if:

-she becomes increasingly drowsy so that you can't wake her

-she appears confused

-if has a headache which is becoming worse

-If there is repeated vomit (more than twice)

-If she develops a weakness in an arm or a leg

-If she has a fit

-If she complains of visual disturbance

hope she is better now.

Chandra

maisystar Mon 19-Jul-04 22:57:31

just seen this hula, hope she's ok

JJ Tue 20-Jul-04 04:26:46

Hula, I hope she's alright now and hope she's better tomorrow. Sounds like she'll have some good bruises though.

Hulababy Tue 20-Jul-04 08:09:26

Morning all and thanks for your best wishes.

I had a terrible night and couldn't settle at all. I had horrid dreams, etc. BUT DD had a reasonable night. She cried int he early hours so I gave her Calpol and she came into my bed for a snuggle. I did sleep a bit better myself after that. We got up at 7ish, with DH. Her face is still swollen and bruised obviously but she doesn't appear to be in quite so much pain now.

I am going to take her into the GPs this morning - only 2 minutes away anyway. Just want the GP to check her out properly but I suspect they'll be little more they can do.

So this arnica? Would it still be useful? Will it help her?

LIZS Tue 20-Jul-04 08:33:15

I'd definitely still try the arnica. You can get some formulations with camomile too which is soothing on the surface if that is sore and the arnica will bring out the bruising so certainly wouldn't do any harm. I used it when dd crushed her foot a couple of months back and, although it was tender for several days, it wasn't swollen for too long even though it was applied a day or so later and the bruise quickly started to come out.

Hope she feels better soon.

Hulababy Tue 20-Jul-04 08:34:45

Can I get arnica just from somewhere like Boots or the chemist, oor do I need to go to a proper herbalist/health shop? Sorry for sound so dense - tired, hot and bothered this morning!

gloworm Tue 20-Jul-04 10:52:10

you can get arnica cream from a health shop. i would use it a few times a day until all signs of bruising/swelling are gone. we use it all the time as we have a crawling baby and a toddler!!
it definatly works...most of the buises in our house never pass the "slightly red" stage, they never go black/blue. Apart from the odd time we dont notice the accident and ds doesnt say he hurt himself, so no arnica cream and hey presto buise appears.
Usually refered to as magic cream by ds!

gloworm Tue 20-Jul-04 10:52:11

you can get arnica cream from a health shop. i would use it a few times a day until all signs of bruising/swelling are gone. we use it all the time as we have a crawling baby and a toddler!!
it definatly works...most of the buises in our house never pass the "slightly red" stage, they never go black/blue. Apart from the odd time we dont notice the accident and ds doesnt say he hurt himself, so no arnica cream and hey presto buise appears.
Usually refered to as magic cream by ds!

gloworm Tue 20-Jul-04 10:53:25

oops, dont know how that came up twice.

Just thought i'd mention Nelsons and Helios are too really good brands.
And Weleda good too.

boudicca Tue 20-Jul-04 10:58:15

I can second that re Arnica-wouldn't be without it,my daughter used to use it after dance class(Irish dancing so v.v.tough on toes)and she never had bruises.I also use Arnica homeopathy,a couple under the tongue-as you all say MAGIC!

Hulababy Tue 20-Jul-04 11:05:16

I got some arnica in town earlier - Nelsons I think it is. I put some on straight away and will keep going with it. So I just put it on every few hours or so then?

GP says it looks to be all superficial with graze above her lip. Need to keep a check ont he graze so it doesn't get infected and she doesn't end up with impetigo. Bruise on cheek is already purple but still a lot of swelling to rest of cheek and her lip. Her teeth and nose look okay though. She is still in pain every so often and is a bit more tearful than normal today. Hoping she will have a nice long nap later and sleep some of it off.

I think I will make sure I always have some arnica in if it is so good then. DD is very clumsy all the time. This one is by far the worst we have had though. Her poor little face

Thanks all.

gloworm Tue 20-Jul-04 11:35:16

put it on at least 4 times a day...i suppose that would be enery3 or 4 hours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now