Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DIAZEPAM???? FLYING SOON AND TOLD THERE REALLY GOOD AS I HAVE PANIC ATTACKS

(57 Posts)
vvvvvvv Tue 27-Mar-07 21:12:17

ANYONE HAD THESE AND WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK OF THEM MY DOC GAVE ME 8 SOME FOR GOING AND SOME FOR COMING HOME,5MG I HAVE BEEN GIVEN AS I HAVE PANIC ATTAKCS AND NEVER BEEN ON A PLANE BEFORE REALLY WORRYED

hairymclary Tue 27-Mar-07 21:15:20

I usually get given lorazepam which is similar and it really works well fo rme.
word of warning though, don't be tempted to take one extra, just in case and down it with vodka

vvvvvvv Tue 27-Mar-07 21:18:28

HOW WILL IT MAKE ME FEEL AND SHOULD I TAKE ONE OR MORE ALSO CAN I HAVE A DRINK WITH THEM?

Racers Tue 27-Mar-07 21:19:37

it's a great help to me. good idea to take before you leave for the airport if you think the build-up might bring on an attack (assuming a 1-2hr journey to airport)

Racers Tue 27-Mar-07 21:21:32

mine are only 2mg so have been able to take a couple and have had a glass of wine on plane etc, just careful not to go overboard. didn't make me feel tired or anything, just a little bit chilled at times, at others, just about taking the edge off the sheer panic and made me less likely to imagine all the things that you imagine might go wrong, if you see what i mean

DettaJnr Tue 27-Mar-07 21:30:22

My doc gave me these also and they are great. They make you feel quite relaxed and a little drunk. Take one to begin with and give it twenty minutes to work, then see how you feel. You can drink with them but of course the health professionals dont advise it.

A long term solution would be to try something else like positive visualisation. I learnt how to do this in yoga class and it has enabled me to fly and travel without the aid of valium and alcohol.

I too suffer from panic attacks but have found that they have diminished dramatically after doing yoga.

HOpe this helps.

hairymclary Tue 27-Mar-07 21:32:51

your GP should have recommended a dose vvvvvvv

I take one tablet an hour before I got on the plane and was really, really chilled out.

Hillary Tue 27-Mar-07 21:34:04

Oh my sister loves Diazepam, if you have any left over you can always flog them

morningpaper Tue 27-Mar-07 21:34:24

diazepam is valium

try them before you fly, on an evening

Don't mix with alcohol with practising first

I would start with half a tablet and see how you feel on that

Nemo2007 Tue 27-Mar-07 21:36:09

have had these for flying too[and since for general anxiety] they are fab and make you feel really chilled out. I had to take one about hr before flying and then if needed could take one while flying.Never ever needed the second one and also didnt drink as I felt quite spaced anyway

Nikki76 Tue 27-Mar-07 21:37:44

Oooh....reckon my dr would give me some?? Am flying on Tuesday...first time with DS and shitting myself...was fine when flew without DS but now I'm feeling all protective towards him and panicking about how he will be on the plane and worst case scenarios etc....awful feeling

bubblerock Tue 27-Mar-07 21:39:12

They are great, my GP prescribed 1 to get me to the dentist last week and I just got 4 more to get me through the next lot of treatment and also my smear.

Callmemadam Tue 27-Mar-07 21:50:57

vvvvvv - I have just got back from Venice and took Diazapam to cope with awful panic about flying. I took one 2mg at 7 am, and another at 12, and then flew out at 1pm without any problems. Coming back the flight was at 11.30 so only took one. at 8 am. that wasn't quite enough iyswim in terms of timing. Yes, take them, they work

vvvvvvv Tue 27-Mar-07 22:18:08

thankyou also much you all have made me feel so much better i will deff take them then,if i take one about two hours before i go

vvvvvvv Tue 27-Mar-07 22:20:11

i should beok yes? i have really bad panic attacks and im going all on my own do you think my heart wont race then with these tablets?

morningpaper Tue 27-Mar-07 22:27:05

gosh no your heart won't race but you might forget your luggage

try it beforehand

vvvvvvv Tue 27-Mar-07 22:27:17

bump they wont make me feel like a panic attacks coming will they? im so so scared of doing this all on my own

morningpaper Tue 27-Mar-07 22:29:28

try it before

try it before

it's lovely lovely lovely

you couldn't have a panic attack if you have the right dose of valium

you would be quite chilled out even if the person in front of you spontaneously combusted

you will not give a toss

vvvvvvv Tue 27-Mar-07 22:32:40

lool
well thats good to know taxxxxx im gonna take one 5mg two hours befor i get on the plane is that enough can i drink if i take two

vvvvvvv Thu 29-Mar-07 11:52:38

ANY SIDE AFFECTS WITH THESE TABLETS? LIKE BRING ON A BAD PANICA ATTACK

PavlovtheCat Thu 29-Mar-07 11:56:30

Definitely try it beforehand as the incorrect dose might mean you fall asleep! With the right, probably very small amount, it will chill you out, and you might actually enjoy the flight. Be prepared to be a little grouchy for a bit after it wears off (blame it on tiredness, jetlag etc)

PavlovtheCat Thu 29-Mar-07 11:59:04

And I would not recommend drinking alcohol with them.

vvvvvvv Thu 29-Mar-07 12:06:24

NA I WONT DRINK SOHULD I TRY ONE A FEW DAYS BEFORE I GO THEN SEE HOW IT FEELS? DO YOU THINK IT COULD SET OFF A PANIC ATTACK THATS WHAT IM WORRIED OF

foxinsocks Thu 29-Mar-07 12:10:59

it's a tranquiliser - it's not going to set off a panic attack. Try one beforehand and see how you feel (but not if you need to drive or anything because it may make you feel drowsy).

I took them once and I hate to say it, they did nothing for me at all. They just made me feel a bit tired.

Racers Thu 29-Mar-07 12:12:41

I can't see why they would bring on panic attacks as they slow your heart rate down and so the opposite should be the case. Good idea to try them out first, maybe if looking at planes or thinking about flying sets you off a bit, try the tablet (or half) and think about your flight etc and see if you feel any better?

What a good idea, using it before a smear! I use mine for dentist also, as have a worse fear for that than flying, but hadn't thought of taking maybe half a one before a smear.

BTW, if any use to anyone, I had to look into this for dental treatment during pregnancy and GP advised against using during first or third trimester, although this was just in my case, it isn't to say it is unsafe if your GP has said otherwise!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now