Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Colposcopy and possible lazer treatment

(13 Posts)
Lj8893 Mon 28-Nov-16 11:28:19

After some unusual bleeding and discharge I have been referred for a colposcopy which I am having tomorrow. If abnormal cells are found (my consultant feels I may have cervical ectropion) he will lazer them off at the same time. If no abnormal cells are found he will fit the mirena coil for me.

I've had a little look online and realise it's not massively invasive and should be fine, but just wanted to ask for other peoples experiences of it please? Will I be ok to drive afterwards?

troubleatmill2011 Mon 28-Nov-16 20:48:14

Hi, had the laser treatment several years ago following abnormal cells. Was painless and I came away just feeling tired and delicate. I wasn't allowed to drive home, they said someone had to pick me up. Next day, bar some interesting discharge I felt fine. Good luck :-) it sounds worse than it is honest! flowers for you OP

LegArmpits Mon 28-Nov-16 20:56:07

I drove home after mine and had a very large whisky!

troubleatmill2011 Mon 28-Nov-16 21:01:02

With the Colposcopy i did drive afterwards. The only thing I didn't like about having that done was the unflattering upright chair with stirrups I had to sit in! blush

EllenJanethickerknickers Mon 28-Nov-16 21:03:56

I had LETZ (?) treatment for CIN 3 pre-cancerous cell and I would have been fine to drive home but exH was with me. (While he was still DH!) It was a bit stingy and I did bleed quite a bit so take a fairly absorbent sanitary towel. I felt a bit sorry for myself as trouble said so It might be nice to take someone for moral support. You may be made of sterner stuff than me though. grin On a positive note, this was 18 years ago and no recurrence of positive smears since.

Lj8893 Mon 28-Nov-16 23:01:44

Thanks all, my mum has already offered her chauffeur services so will take her up on that offer.

I'm really nervous and I have no idea why!

troubleatmill2011 Tue 29-Nov-16 06:24:46

It's the unknown OP, we're all the same. But honesty apart from the embarrassment factor it's absolutely fine. smile

thecolonelbumminganugget Tue 29-Nov-16 12:28:57

I've been for a colposcopy this morning <waves a stirrup buddy> not laser, but silver nitrate treatment for the same thing. It was unplesant but overall it was fine. I have what I would describe as mild period pain now. I felt a bit dizzy afterwards but a cup of suggary tea and a custard cream sorted me out a treat. Hope all went well.

bingbong02 Tue 29-Nov-16 12:33:56

I just had this last week. Worst part was actually when I clocked the chair. Is a cross between a dentist chair and weird sex chair confused I wanted to turn and head home at that point as if was so different from the bed I had the last time I needed the procedure done.

Examination was fine, just a bit uncomfortable. I needed biopsys taken and in hindsight should have taken the local anaesthetic they offered me! I wasn't in pain afterwards but felt a bit queasy and shaky so was glad dh was there to drive us home.

Good luck op X

Lj8893 Tue 29-Nov-16 13:04:55

All done! I had to have cold coagulation and so had the local anaesthetic which made me very shakey and woozy so I'm glad my mum drove me! She said I was jay walking afterwards blush

Had the mirena fitted too so feeling very crampy now, glad it's all over though.

Lj8893 Tue 29-Nov-16 13:06:08

Was really interesting seeing my cervix on the screen though!

EllenJanethickerknickers Tue 29-Nov-16 21:10:54

Well done, OP! Gosh, your cervix on live TV, though? Modern technology. grin

Lj8893 Tue 29-Nov-16 22:26:50

Ellen grin I'm a student midwife so I jumped at the chance to see it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now