Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Dentist issue!

(4 Posts)
Mairyhinge Thu 24-Nov-16 15:21:12

Hi, I'm debating emailing/ writing to my dentist practice and wondered if that's a good idea?
Do they have practice managers like the gps surgery do?
I have awful teeth, partly due to neglect and partly due to cancer treatment. I do as I'm told, clean them, mouthwash etc, so I do try!
My dentist was so lovely and kind and always put me at ease but he's gone private, so they passed me to another, who was ok but she got busy so they passed me to another, who, again, was ok, but I'm extremely anxious and nervous and he was a bit ' bringer of doom'.
He's now left, so I'm seeing another one! He never discusses my future dental stuff, which I know before long will be at least full top dentures.
Twice I've seen him and twice I've had a lower filling, the first time it took days to stop being numb, and this last time my face was bruised, on the outside. And the tooth still is quite sore. I don't really like him because I feel he doesn't like me much and doesn't actually care what happens.
I know I should go back but my anxiety means I only go when they tell me I have to Which is every three months at the mo.
I want to ask them to move me to the kind and gentle dentist in the practice who everyone likes, but I fear they'll say he's too busy, I want to be able to discuss my future without being judged, and be given options or choices.
And I want to feel safe, even though this is partly my fault, radiotherapy has KNACKERED my lower teeth, but I feel they just judge me as being negligent.
I'd like to sit down and discuss this with practice manager without being judged would you say this is possible, as I know they'll say I should've gone back sooner re my sore tooth.

MulberryBush12 Fri 25-Nov-16 21:03:54

The majority of General Dental Practices nowadays have a Practice Manager.
I'd just ring and ask to speak to him /her and tell them what you've told us. Or email / write if you feel more comfortable.
I don't think your request is unreasonable (am a dentist). HTH !

Heatherjayne1972 Sun 27-Nov-16 11:38:18

Definitely contact the practice manager or principal dentist
They must (by law ) have a complaints procedure
(Am a hygienist btw)

Mairyhinge Mon 28-Nov-16 13:24:54

Thank you, I'll email them. I just don't want them to fob me off and say the situation is all my fault. I know I'm partly to blame,but radiotherapy has done a fair bit of damage and I'm trying my best!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now