Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Worried I'm not well

(11 Posts)
runningaround Tue 22-Nov-16 19:33:36

I have felt not quite myself for a while but not sure what is wrong or how to get help best.

Bit about me: teacher in a secondary school, quite stressed and busy but generally happy, very fit and active (runner/gym) but recently finding it more tiring.

Symptoms: last few months (I'd say 3-4 months) I've had dull aches in two specific spots in my back, worse at night time. One LHS below rib, other LHS lower back. Comes on when I'm lying down, OK during day. Also abdominal pains, but I have IBS and that may be connected. Cramps in the lower abdomen at times, or pains higher up.

Also feeling just generally exhausted and have tried eating healthily/lots of vitamins etc, as well as a vitamin supplement, doesn't seem to have much effect. Am still managing to be active, just not as easily as I used to. Despite being active and feeling exhausted, I also have terrible sleep and it's all just a vicious cycle.

This week, I had to call in sick to work on Monday which I always feel horrendously guilty about and never do. Was just feeling rubbish Sunday night, couldn't sleep, pains in back really constant and noticeable. Same again last night and I stayed off again today. Went to docs today after getting emergency appt. Doctor felt about, asked me all about symptoms, seems to think I have a kidney infection. When she felt about that area, it was the bit that was sore, and her prodding did make it a lot more painful. Plus I was sweaty and overheating which she said was classic signs of infection. Plus the tiredness.

So she gave me antibiotics and I am taking them but I feel like this is something that's been going on for longer and I just don't know what it is. It's been months since I've noticed the pains in the spots in my back that she thinks are my kidneys.

Is there anything else they can be? As surely you can't have kidney troubles leading to infection for 3-4 months without having gone to the docs before now. Sorry this post so long. Anyone with further ideas? Should I just take the antibiotics and say to my doc if they don't make me feel better?

VIOLETsunflower Wed 23-Nov-16 18:50:08

Hello sorry to hear you're unwell. Back pain could possibly be muscular - both my husband and I have had this. However, it might be worth getting your vitamin d checked. If you are low the amount in a general vitamin won't cut it. It can cause weakness and general issues.

I can't comment on other issues I'm afraid, but maybe someone else might have an idea.

VIOLETsunflower Wed 23-Nov-16 18:53:09

Kidney stones?

runningaround Wed 23-Nov-16 20:09:04

Thank you for your replies.

Funnily enough I recently bought a Vit D supplement after reading up and thinking it was a good idea to add extra to my intake. So I will keep taking it. But maybe also worth speaking to the doc about this.

Kidney stones I think fits the area of the back pain but I haven't had pain when I pee, and my pain has been quite dull- I think it's normally more agonising for kidney stones.

I have been taking the antibiotics for 2 days. I feel better in a way- but 3 days (now) off work will do that to anyone.... I feel less exhausted and a bit brighter. But I still have the pain in my back. Which makes me think maybe it wasn't a kidney infection and that whatever the back thing is, is still to be solved. Maybe the antibiotics have made me feel a bit better because I did have an infection of some kind. Or maybe placebo effect.

I just can't shake the feeling I'm not generally very well. But doctors seem to just look for a specific cause of a 'right now' problem- rather than longer term stuff.

I know my worries/anxiety are silly and lots of people have similar.

HummusForBreakfast Wed 23-Nov-16 20:14:37

Its not silly to be worried about fixed pain that have been there for such along time.
You are saying that you are feeling better generally but has the pan calmed down too? If it hasn't by the time you have finished your antibiotics, please do go and see your GP again.
Because it means that, even if you are feeling better (maybe just because you have had a few days off work), the original diagnosis was wrong and something else is happening.
If the pain is better but you are still feeling crap, again, go back and see your GP.

Just don't brush it away 'as one of those things'

HummusForBreakfast Wed 23-Nov-16 20:15:27

Btw, I think we should always listen to our instinct saying that we are unwell

VIOLETsunflower Wed 23-Nov-16 20:56:19

I thought my back pains were kidneys but it was weak joints. It was partly hormonal and thyroid medication not being great and a bunch of other things - basically I became very weak.

I'm not you but just to illustrate there can wide and varied reasons.

I would wait in a week or so when abs have fully worked and see how you feel and then go back. I think the general feeling of unwellness for a while should be mentioned.

runningaround Thu 24-Nov-16 19:12:04

Thanks both.

hummus- yes the pain has actually calmed a lot now- I haven't really felt it today so far... touch wood... so perhaps doc right (though wouldn't explain why I had pain of some kind, even if not as noticable, for such a long time before these past few days).

Violet- good point.

I slept for about 2.5 hours last night as subconsciously I guess I was stressed about going back to work. But I do feel a good bit better today and got through the work day fine.

BusterGonad Wed 30-Nov-16 06:33:59

If you still feel unwell go back to the doctor and ask for blood tests. CRP for inflammation, iron etc. If you don't feel right then persist.

RubySparks Wed 30-Nov-16 07:23:53

Have you ever been tested for coeliac disease?

Holz657 Wed 30-Nov-16 07:36:56

Hi, at the start of the year I was diagnosed with kidney stones. I started to feel niggle like pains in my back in about November, it would come and go so I just left it. It wasn't until about the 22nd of December I started feeling really unwell. Didn't feel myself and the pains weren't going away. Again, left it because of Christmas coming up. Pain gradually got worse and on the 1st of January I woke up and it felt like i had a water infection. I got an emergency app and spent the first week off the year off work and in my bed. Just wanted to share my experience with you because I thought kidney stone pain would come on fairly quick but it definitely took a while to come on fully. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now