Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Should I see my GP about this?

(13 Posts)
ProfessorPickles Sat 19-Nov-16 21:03:27

For about 6 months now my skin has been terrible, with many large sore spots particularly along my jaw line. I haven't had an issue with spots since I was a teenager and it just doesn't seem to be improving, it'll get to a point where it looks like it's about to clear up and I get excited, then I wake up with more! The spots seem quite angry and tender with some big lumps sitting under the skin.

A friend is a beautician and I remember her once saying spots along the jaw line are often caused by hormones.

Is it worth going to the doctors about?
I'm tired of feeling disgusting when I have no make up on!

ginswinger Sat 19-Nov-16 21:06:04

Yes

TooStressyForMyOwnGood Sat 19-Nov-16 21:09:33

Yes, absolutely. I had terrible spots during and after pregnancy with DC1. Went to the doctor and got some cream which made a massive difference. Should have gone sooner.

Also have you asked your friend to suggest any products? Or gone to a beauty counter type place? When I finally went I was told I was actually making things worse as had been using completely the wrong face wash etc. Did see an improvement after changing that but needed meds for things to really improve.

CoperCabana Sat 19-Nov-16 21:10:48

Google Perioral Dermatitis. Does it look like this? If so, yes to GP although mine has massively improved, but not cleared, by using Sulphur Soap and Canesten Athletes Foot cream per internet tips.

ProfessorPickles Sat 19-Nov-16 21:13:04

Thanks for the responses! I must admit I'm a bit of an avoider of the GP. Not because I have any worries, just because I'm a believer of "my body will sort it" with chest infections etc. But clearly my body isn't sorting it this time!

Great to hear things improved for you, did things clear up and stay better once you had the cream Stressy?
I think I've been worried they'll say there's nothing they can do if I go but it's worth a try after this long!

ProfessorPickles Sat 19-Nov-16 21:15:30

Just had a look Cabana and I'd say it looks like the mild ones. I found an image that I've attached and it looks like that around my chin/mouth area but then with big swollen spots further up my jaw line too

5minutestobed Sat 19-Nov-16 21:16:09

Definitely go OP. I have acne rosacea and have had all sorts of creams and tablets for it. If it is making you feel self conscious then go!

lljkk Sat 19-Nov-16 21:17:37

pharmacist first.

TooStressyForMyOwnGood Sat 19-Nov-16 21:18:46

Hi, yes, sort of. Wasn't a miracle cure but I have always had spots since I was a teenager. Still have quite a few now but much more manageable.

I did learn to get help earlier. I've posted this on MN before but when I was pregnant with DC2 my skin started to get bad again. This time as soon as I could (had a toddler so not immediately but within a few weeks) I got advice... from Lush of all places... and skin started to get better.

Also skin changes over time, I really should go back to someone as skin not great at the moment. You've inspired me to find the time. Hope this ramble makes sense!

CoperCabana Sat 19-Nov-16 21:18:58

I am also an avoider of GPs and not keen on antibiotics but if it is Perioral Dermatitis, that seems to be the key treatment. Because I want to avoid drugs, the internet tips I have read definitely seem to have helped.

IcedVanillaLatte Sat 19-Nov-16 21:19:17

I get this but I think it's because I vape. Either that or stress - I vape more when I'm stressed so dunno which is causing it IYSWIM grin Anyway, what I mean to say is, has anything else in your life changed recently?

ProfessorPickles Sat 19-Nov-16 21:29:41

I think stress could be the cause Iced, my ability to cope with things I used to find easy seems to have been gone for roughly 6 months too so that would make sense.

I used to be very motivated, the house was spotless and I could get a lot of work done and now I can't manage half of it!
So I imagine stress will be the cause, but unfortunately I have another 6-7 months of stress shock

IcedVanillaLatte Sat 19-Nov-16 21:31:38

If the stress is getting difficult for you to cope with, and doesn't seem to be proportionate to what's going on in your life at the moment, that seems worth going to the GP about anyway, to me - the facial outbreak could just be one symptom of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now