Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

HospItalian wants me to stay at night and go home during the day for iv antibiotics. Has anyone else heard of this?

(1 Post)
CrazyLazyDazy Fri 18-Nov-16 13:18:26

First off I should mention I'm not in the uk. I'm currently in the middle of pregnancy number 3 and have been in my local maternity hospital for the last week with a pylonephritis. I was seriously ill with it and am on strong iv antibiotics. I'm on the mend now but the microbiologist wants me to continue with the iv antibiotics for another 2 weeks.

The hospital have said that they want me to board overnight with them, get my nightly and morning iv drips there and then go home for the day where a phn will come and give me my afternoon iv at home. Has anyone ever heard of a setup like this? Unfortunately where I live, there isn't a 24 hour home care option.

The arrangement sounds very inconvenient to me, although not as bad as the thought of having to stay as an inpatient for another 2 weeks. My husband has already taken time off work to look after our 2 toddlers and needs to get back but we're hoping he can change his shifts around a little to accommodate my nightly stays.

Just wondering if anyone has faced anything similar and how did it work out for you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now