Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What's wrong with my big toe? (Pic included)

(20 Posts)
feminazi Thu 17-Nov-16 16:33:50

This started two weeks ago and it's very sensitive, to the point that I'm limping some days! The skin has gone and the area is constantly damp with a white goo.

Any ideas? sad

TwinkleMumsie Thu 17-Nov-16 16:40:15

Probably ingrown toenail, I've had one for agesblush

feminazi Thu 17-Nov-16 16:43:50

I don't think it's ingrown. The nail and the skin seem to be separating?

CheesyWeez Thu 17-Nov-16 16:47:31

Athlete's foot? as there seems to be a white sort of tide-mark around it. Athletes foot looks like this on me, bleeding, and eberything, only mine is generally between the toes. Very painful

QueenOfTheNaps Thu 17-Nov-16 17:34:29

Fungal infection? Go see a chemist and wop it out on the counter grin

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Thu 17-Nov-16 17:37:05

i'd dabble that in some nice hot salt water and air it out.

Out2pasture Thu 17-Nov-16 17:39:50

It's an infection in the corner of your toe.
Keep an eye on it, but start with salt soaks and airing.

MulberryBush12 Thu 17-Nov-16 17:52:06

I'm not sure whether it's an ingrowing nail but agree does look infected.
Is your general health ok? Diabetes?
Make an appointment with your doctor ASAP.
Meantime, I'd be soaking it in hot salt water also as much as possible. Also maybe try applying tea tree oil, let it evaporate, apply something like germolene or even Magnesium Sulphate paste. Put a large-ish dressing around your toe and then surgical tape to keep dressing in situ.

feminazi Thu 17-Nov-16 18:04:20

My general health is fine. I'm vegan, but I doubt that would cause this.

Hot salt sounds painful! sad

MulberryBush12 Thu 17-Nov-16 19:42:29

Should be soothing- comfortable warm temperature not scalding hotshock!

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 17-Nov-16 19:43:47

In growing toenail, fungal infections don't look like that.

You need to see a podiatrist.

QuoteMeYouFuckers Thu 17-Nov-16 20:26:10

I have an ingrown toenail on my left big toe and it looks similar to this. The only thing I do is soak it in the shower, gently ease the skin back away from the nail and keep my socks off as much as possible when in the house. I also have to keep that nail longer than all the rest - if I cut it or stub it and break the nail it flares up again.

Twogoats Thu 17-Nov-16 22:35:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lougle Thu 17-Nov-16 22:46:42

I think it's ingrown. I would take a nick out of the nail down the right hand side, then pull that sliver of nail off. It would hurt, release the puss, bleed but feel so much better. But that's not advice - just what I would do to my own nail.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 18-Nov-16 06:35:42

Two Nails have no nerve supply at the free edge, the pain manifests in the skin with ingrown toenails.

Never seen athletes foot look like that.

A podiatrist will safely cut the offending piece of nail out.

feminazi Fri 18-Nov-16 16:21:14

So the whole nail may have to come off? sad

feminazi Fri 18-Nov-16 16:22:12

It is really painful and I really can't take any worse pain. Would the podiatrist be able to give me drugs too? For the pain.

yumscrumfatbum Fri 18-Nov-16 16:26:04

DS had similar. Advised to soak in salt water and then smear vaseline on sore bit. Also to cut a triangle shape in centre of toenail to encourage normal growth. It did the trick was very inflamed and oozing pus but he wasn't prescribed antibiotics

bonzo77 Fri 18-Nov-16 16:30:44

Looks just like DH's ingrown toe nail. He ended up with a partial nail removal. Been fine since. Soak in hot salt water and book in to see a chiropodist.

SKYTVADDICT Fri 18-Nov-16 16:36:08

Same as my dd2s big toe nails. Should clear up with abs. She only ended up with partial nail removals because it was recurring and her toe nails were shaped such that they would always grow in. Don't worry about removal yet wink just soak and sqeeze (not advice from professionals) 😂

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now