Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

cough remedies that actually work?

(10 Posts)
thegirlinthecar Tue 15-Nov-16 15:49:01

Last week dcs gave me the plague. I'm sure loads of people have it at the moment , a cold with a temperature and relentless cough. I have tried day nurse , night nurse and some herbal thing called broncho stop all to no avail. Has anybody any magical cough remedies that actually work? It's driving me insane

IamaLadyeee Tue 15-Nov-16 15:52:59

Codeine works a treat for me. Last time I had a cough, it was horrid and tickly and once I started, I couldn't stop, I had to sleep downstairs as I was keeping everyone awake. I found a dose of co-codamol before bed worked wonders and stopped it.

thegirlinthecar Tue 15-Nov-16 15:57:22

Iama thanks for your reply. I have been trying codeine but I have inflammatory arthritis so I think I'm somewhat too used to taking codeine for it to have that sedative effect. I have been banished to ds's room for the forseeable future.

Meandyouandyouandme Tue 15-Nov-16 15:59:47

Ricola herbal sweets do the trick for me when I have a cough. Can get them in Holland & Barratt and Tesco I think.

thegirlinthecar Tue 15-Nov-16 16:02:52

Thanks meandyou I'll give them a shot. I'm ready to try anything including shoving some sandpaper down my throat for a good scratch

hollyisalovelyname Tue 15-Nov-16 16:49:29

Honey and lemon drink. I watched a programme on TVs and they tested different cough mixtures and a honey and lemon drink.
The honey and lemon drink was proven to be more effective than the ( household names ) cough mixtures

thegirlinthecar Tue 15-Nov-16 17:19:29

Thanks holly I've been drinking loads of tea with honey but will add some lemon and see if it helps. Damn this time of year !

hollyisalovelyname Tue 15-Nov-16 17:51:10

Also OP I read on Mumsnet that you rubVicks onto the soles of your feet at night it helps reduce your coughing.
I haven't tried it. smile

thegirlinthecar Tue 15-Nov-16 17:54:51

I'll do it. Maybe I'll just bathe in Vicks and see if that works grin

laurzj82 Tue 15-Nov-16 17:57:59

I watched the honey and lemon thing on TV too. Works if it's tickley cough. If it's chesty there's one you can get over the counter I think it's called robitusson? That really works. Also like jakemans cough sweets

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now