Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sudden acceleration in hair growth

(8 Posts)
Gingernaut Mon 14-Nov-16 02:05:30

This is not a stealth boast.

I am a 48 female. I have always had thick, fast growing red hair. Everything grows so fast - head hair, eyebrows, eyelashes, armpits, legs, chest you name it.

When I get my eyebrows threaded, the therapist has to spend time trimming the longer, curly hairs before the threading starts and I have learned to pluck the eyelash hairs which grow into the corners of my eyes. sad

In the throes of a midlife crisis, I have, in the past three months, started a health and fitness 'campaign'. grin

Fewer carbs, more protein (lots more protein), exercise - again, you name it.

The result? No noticable fitness benefits but my periods restarted after about 6 months off and my hair is growing faster.

I mean ridiculously faster.

I used to have a haircut once a month, now it's every three weeks.

I had my haircut the week before last and it's looking unkempt and unruly.

My moustache and 'beard', usually shaved every other day, now need shaving every day and are bristly, before the day is out. blush

I have had a brow shape and tint with a lash lift and tint last Tuesday. The roots are now visible.

My eyelash roots are now visible. angry

The question.

Is this a response to the higher protein intake or something to go to the doctor with?

Dr. Google is split between tips on how to accelerate hair growth and possible tumours.

Has this happened to anyone else? What did you do?

Gingernaut Mon 14-Nov-16 07:34:46

Shameless and attention seeking bump

Gingernaut Tue 15-Nov-16 13:36:50

Another shameless bump. blush

BusterGonad Tue 15-Nov-16 14:55:24

Over active thyroid??? I have no idea. See you doctor, no female wants to be shaving everyday!!!!

Gingernaut Tue 15-Nov-16 16:10:34

Yeah true....sad

Fairybella Tue 15-Nov-16 16:14:39

Hope you get sorted

Gingernaut Tue 15-Nov-16 23:39:23

Thanks sad

Gingernaut Thu 24-Nov-16 12:55:46

I've been given a specimen bag and specific instructions to have a blood test on the 3rd day of my next period.

Hormones and thyroid.

Off to the hairdresser tomorrow...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now