Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Broken ankles

(8 Posts)
MissHopalong Thu 10-Nov-16 17:06:05

Does anyone have any experience of broken ankles and healing?

I broke mine over 3 months ago and I still can't walk without crutches and it's incredibly painful.

Is this normal?

dannyglick Thu 10-Nov-16 20:15:45

MissHopalong, yes it's normal.
I broke my ankle 7 months ago, and it was around 4 months after p in and plate surgery that I managed without at least one crutch.
And yes, it was very painful: I took regular co-codamol.
You must do your physio exercises religiously in order to get better.
I used to feel very low, feeling that I would never get better: I wasn't a good patient at all.
You will get better, but it takes a long time.

MissHopalong Fri 11-Nov-16 19:33:32

Thank you dannyglick.

That's reassuring in a funny sort of way - in that at least it's kind of normal. I also had surgery with pins and a plate.

I'm a crap patient too - I've been ok up till now but am getting really down about not being able to do things without pain. It's very disheartening.

How is yours now? Are you back to normal yet?

SauvignonBlanche Fri 11-Nov-16 19:38:21

I naively expected to be better after 6 weeks! blush

My physio laughed and said to change that to 6 months and to realise that it could be a year.

daisygirlmac Fri 11-Nov-16 19:40:52

Seconded for doing your physio exercises! Mine took a long time to heal properly but my mum is a physio and she kicked my arse daily to make sure they were done and that I pushed myself otherwise I think I'd be a lot worse off

dannyglick Mon 14-Nov-16 10:42:06

MissHopalong, no, I'm not back to normal yet, but I think I am getting there.
My consultant said at the outset that it could take 18 months to be back to normal, but my physio said at my last appointment with him that he would expect it to be by Xmas, and it's looking that way to me.
I work 3 to 4 very busy 14 hour days a week (HCP), and manage that fine.
There is still some stiffness and limited range of movement,but that's improving.
When I get home from work, I have an Epsom Salt bath, and after getting dry, I massage the ankle and foot with Weleda Arnica balm: that helps.
Still do ankle- strengthening exercises and swim twice a week, all on recommendation of physio.
I've tried on a pair of heels this morning, and was really pleased to walk in them, although it was only around the house!
Wish you well.

Sweetandsour93 Mon 14-Nov-16 14:15:23

A close relative of mine broke her ankle in three places and had pins and a plate put in. Recovery was slow and there were times she didn't think she'd be able to put weight on her feet. It was several months before she was walking and the swelling took a long time to go down. However, she's now back in heels and the ankle is working fine. It will take time but you'll get there.

dannyglick Mon 14-Nov-16 14:33:16

Sweetandsour, that's reassuring to me, too, as I also had fractures in 3 places in the ankle.
I spent too much time googling "broken ankle recovery time", then feeling really disheartened when I read tales of people still having problems years later: I thought I would never be the same again.
Then DH pointed out that people with long-term problems are probably the minority, and that most people were getting on with their lives and not thinking about going onto online forums to talk about broken ankles.
(Not counting MN as we are here to support each other).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now