Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Cushion to relieve sciatica pain?

(5 Posts)
Noitsnotteatimeyet Wed 09-Nov-16 13:25:38

As a delightful add-on to having a very dodgy knee, I've now developed sciatica due to the piriformis muscle in my bum impinging on the sciatic nerve. It's particularly hideous when I'm driving or sitting on some chairs (unfortunately including our dining chairs). I had a look on Amazon and there are loads of cushions/wedges which promise fabulous things - can anyone recommend one which actually works please? I don't have any lower back pain - I'm presuming this is happening as I'm walking differently due to dodgy knee ...

maggiso Wed 09-Nov-16 14:52:17

Have you a professional (chiropractor/physiotherapist etc) that can advise? That might be the best way to find what is likely to benefit your particular difficulty, and when you will use it ( work/ home/ hobby/ driving etc)
I am definitely not an expert - but have several cushions- different ones for different chairs. I tried a few that did not help much before the local disability shop let me trial one on a returnable basis. The angle (or thickness at the back of the wedge) may depend on how the seat tilts back - if at all. Some cushions have a cut out . I now use a Putnam 8 degree? wedge (the thinner one!) on our computer chair which helps for me. The car is harder as a high wedge may sit you higher and closer to the roof! Even a problem for 5ft me! Also some car seats are too rounded at the back to take a square seat pad - and I think there are rules on fire safety for in car use. I don't like the blow up ones for driving as they change as you go around corners, (most disconcerting ) but a folding inflatable is useful for traveling to a venue where you need to sit especially on hard chairs once you get there ( lecture/church etc). Actually the most helpful thing for me is stretching exercises - but that really does need expert advice.

Noitsnotteatimeyet Thu 10-Nov-16 08:27:07

Thanks - I've got a physio appointment coming up but it's not for a few weeks as I've just had surgery on my knee

QOD Thu 10-Nov-16 08:32:47

I use these. Start around £10 on eBay

MatildaTheCat Fri 11-Nov-16 15:37:29

Get thereby one physio, one that also does release massage. I have both a very dodgy knee and a terrible back and sciatica. My rehab therapist has got me using my knees much better and corrects my posture in doing so. A good, if painful muscle release can give almost instant relief to the trapped nerve..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now