Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Help! Another tooth abscess.

(6 Posts)
Janey50 Sat 05-Nov-16 18:04:53

Does anyone else keep getting tooth abscesses? My DD,who is 33,has been diagnosed with yet another one,her 5th one in 4 years. It may not sound a tremendous amount but I,at the age of 53,have never had one (touch wood!) Is it something you are just prone to,or maybe it's genetic? (I remember my exH,her dad,had a few). Or is it something she's doing,or not doing? She is pretty rigourous about dental hygiene and visits the dentist regularly.

somewheresomehow Sat 05-Nov-16 19:36:21

Lots of sympathy and painkillers to your DD.
I had one three times last year all under the same front misaligned tooth.
Dentist said to stop them the tooth had to come out but I said not while the antibiotics work and so far (touchwood) I haven't had one but I have got a prescription for AB's in my pocket in case one does start up.
(i'm 53 an all grin ) I dont do anything different to last year, I rarely floss and occasionally clean at night but usually c b arsed.

tallulahturtle Sun 06-Nov-16 07:50:28

I had a dodgy filling and kept getting abscesses, also got a horrible lump on my gum where the tooth would constantly drain (think dentist said it was a sinus ). Anyway would get abscesses and infections a couple of times a year and had a constant low grade infection. Dentist referred me for a root canal but after waiting pretty much a year (my roots are very complex so would be a hospital job), the hospital didn't accept me. I then got another abscess and had enough and paid out privately (£930 and £400 for crown). Never felt better and touch wood no problems so far.

tallulahturtle Sun 06-Nov-16 07:52:14

And I am 31, by the way. My mum was alarmed too at how many issues I've had with my tooth (rest of my mouth was top notch), apart from occasional red wine staining!!!

Cerseilannisterinthesnow Sun 06-Nov-16 08:52:54

I sympathise I've got one at the moment but mine never hurt which is strange, I know it is one though as I have the little lump Infront of the affected tooth which fills and drains again. I will be going to see about it this week but has anyone felt generally crap around the head and neck area with a tooth abscess? I feel a bit fuzzy and generally rubbish it is a back tooth so don't know if it makes any difference, none of my nodes are up either

tallulahturtle Sun 06-Nov-16 11:42:16

Yeah you will feel a bit run down and out of sorts as you have a constant low grade infection your body is fighting. Pretty sure at that stage a root canal/extraction is the cure as that's what cured mine.
The lump went the next day. Had another time where the lump went but that was when the filling had cracked even more and the (now very infected) pus was coming out the tooth instead. Was the most revolting taste :0

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now