Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Dry cracked hands

(18 Posts)
JammyDodger16 Thu 03-Nov-16 20:48:13

My dsis showed me her hands tonight and I feel so awful for her! They are dry and cracked, red and sore because of the change in season. All on the tops of her fingers and knuckles.

She is booking a doctors appointment but I wondered if any of you had any tips on how to deal with hands like this - any magic potions or tips?

OhtoblazeswithElvira Thu 03-Nov-16 20:49:11

Use an SLS-FREE hand soap.

Barabajagal Thu 03-Nov-16 20:51:26

Marigolds for washing up if she doesn't already use them. It's helpful to moisturise hands just before washing up too - the heat from the water really helps it sink in.

5BlueHydrangea Thu 03-Nov-16 20:55:23

NIVEA cream, in the blue tub. Lovely.

user1475010410 Thu 03-Nov-16 20:56:50

I find specific soaps can cause this for me, so always try to use a moisturiser and wear gloves outside.

MidMay Thu 03-Nov-16 21:04:11

Body Shop hemp cream really helps DH. His hands are like this too when weather changes.

Beachballl Thu 03-Nov-16 21:06:25

My hands are light that I use atrixo hand cream green and white container its fab

daisygirlmac Thu 03-Nov-16 21:07:36

Body shop hemp cream seconded - lots of nurse friends use it as well as they suffer from washing hands so much

JammyDodger16 Thu 03-Nov-16 21:40:56

Fabulous, thanks all, I will pass this lot on. Hopefully something will help

GourmetGold Sat 05-Nov-16 00:25:55

Lush 'Charity Pot' cream is fantastic.

as gentle a soap as possible ..I use this one:- totallynaturalskincare.co.uk/products/bergamot-bay-soap?variant=17361029957

Marigolds.

For me, my dry skin was partly a Thyroid problem. I resolved that following the 'Iodine Loading Protocol', my skin is far less dry now.

Piscivorus Sat 05-Nov-16 00:32:58

Buy a tub of Aqueous Cream and use that for washing instead of using soap, Marigolds when washing, etc. If skin is inflamed and aggravated may need a mild steroid like hydrocortisone to settle it down

I was told Neutrogena handcream is the best for dry cracked skin. It was invented for use on the Norwegian trawlers as the cold and wet destroyed hands and is really effective

PickAChew Sat 05-Nov-16 00:35:44

For the cracked skin, itself, a cream containing urea such as flexitol - even better get the cracked heel version to put on at night.

For day to day, check for allerigges such as latex in rubber gloves, avoid contact with strong detergents (you can get non-latex gloves) and whayarnt I find is I can't wear gloves made of synthetic matierials such as acrylic or polyester fleece. They have to be wool or leather.

PickAChew Sat 05-Nov-16 00:36:28

allergies
what...

<needs bed>

isthatmorelego Sat 05-Nov-16 00:38:51

Body shop Hemp hand cream or body butter and cotton gloves available in pound shops

PickAChew Sat 05-Nov-16 00:39:02

Another recent culprit has been Simple hand wash. That one's been getting DH, too.

Stinky lush soap has been fine.

sandgrown Sat 05-Nov-16 00:42:58

Cetreben emollient cream is the only one that works for me and I have tried just about everything !

JammyDodger16 Mon 07-Nov-16 00:38:25

Thanks for the tips everyone - hadn't thought of allergies or using flexitol.

BusterGonad Mon 07-Nov-16 09:39:33

I had this where they would crack and bleed and generally hurt a lot, it was painful just changing my child's nappy, the doctor prescribed Daktacort and now I never wash up without gloves, I do not use liquid hand soap at home, and I use Aveeno on my hands to keep any problems at bay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now