Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Hate the Autumn - what can I do?

(3 Posts)
Sunnydawn Thu 03-Nov-16 17:32:57

I used to love this time of year, but in recent years I have started to dread it.

Every year, I get a couple of stinking colds in September which then linger in NY chest for months. I have a slight temperature, in and off. I lose my voice. I am just knackered.

I am asthmatic, but GP upped my brown inhalers a couple of years ago, which helped, and I take a higher dose when I have a cold.

I use my blue inhaler.

I take a vitamin D supplement.

I wear a scarf, and try and avoid road traffic fumes.

I keep warm, and try to avoid the damp.

I eat well, sleep well, am relatively fit.

What am I missing? It affects my work, I feel crap and struggle through each day (work part time).

Any thing obvious I am missing???

GourmetGold Sat 05-Nov-16 01:06:03

Try a SAD light box?? Lots of people swear by them to get through the winter. Keep really well hydrated & avoid alcohol and caffeine.

itsmine Sat 05-Nov-16 13:45:40

A humidifier may help. Dyson do one, its expensive but for me worth every penny. Once the heating goes on I am prone to coughs and chest problems as the air gets so dry. This humidifier cleans the air as it humidifies so it isn't sending out bug filled particles.

Or for a cheaper version get some ceramic radiator pot things, fill with water, hook on radiator and they add moisture to the air.

If you're asthmatic you'd be surprised how much a bit of moisture in the air can hugely reduce dry coughs, which may then lead to URTI's

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now