Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Gallstones... Diet advice?

(30 Posts)
milkjetmum Thu 03-Nov-16 16:50:57

So have enjoyed my first gallstone experience this week, now loaded up on codeine and awaiting next steps.

Have I eaten my last cream tea? sad I am a real dairy lover, are glasses of milk, buttery bread, cheese on toast, pizza etc all of the menu forever? for a while now?

Not a problem shirt term as feeling so unwell the thought of eating anything is horrifying so I have only had lucozade and squash.

But what are your top tips? Time for me to embrace rice and cous cous recipes?

snozzlemaid Thu 03-Nov-16 16:55:25

Just very, very low fat until you have your gallbladder out or it will happen again.

onecrazycook Fri 04-Nov-16 02:57:43

I've just had my first attack this week. I agree- the thought of food is horrifying. Had a meal for the first time since the attack this evening and have woken in agony again. It's eased now but I am looking for advice too if anyone has any?

AgentProvocateur Fri 04-Nov-16 03:11:54

Agree with snozzlemaid - I was on a low-far diet (less than 5%) until I got my gallbladder out. That was 20 years ago, and I can eat what I want now.

DustyMaiden Fri 04-Nov-16 04:03:24

Chew your food really well. Low fat diet. Drink plenty of water.

Orlistat which makes fat go straight through massively reduces pain but may cause other problems.

Post op I can eat anything.

milkjetmum Fri 04-Nov-16 04:11:19

Hi onecrazy when do you expect to get treatment? For me next step is an ultrasound and they said 3 week for that.

On the brightside I'm guessing the 'gallstones so afraid to eat anything' diet is going to result in some impressive weight loss...

Planning to eat bare minimum for a few days, fruit and veg and bread I guess...Maybe build up courage to try cereal with milk

Like you said, I am quite afraid of feeling that pain again. I would really like my gallbladder out asap but I think it's going to be a before that happens . Was also ttc so will put that on hold so as not to delay any op

BitOutOfPractice Fri 04-Nov-16 04:39:21

In my case I was on an 11 month waiting list shock

I agree with PP, go low fat

You have my sympathies. It's horrible. And be careful with the codeine. If only because it will give you dreadful constipation!

milkjetmum Fri 04-Nov-16 07:24:16

Thanks everyone, have done an online shop with some fat free 'treats' like melon and strawberries. Not much appetite anyway, have more shoulder pain today.

Thanks for the waiting list heads up, I hope it won't be too long as have been ttc dc3 since the summer and not getting any younger... But definitely don't want to delay an op by being pregnant or have to have deal with gallstone pain during pregnancy.

HelenaJustina Fri 04-Nov-16 07:34:26

I lost a stone in a month due to ultra low fat and being scared to eat. I had instant porridge made with water for breakfast. A couple of rice cakes and some cherry tomatoes for lunch and a bowl of homemade soup for dinner... I wasn't very adventurous because it was too scary!

GourmetGold Sat 05-Nov-16 00:32:07

Milk Thistle is meant to be good at helping prevent Gallstones , I use it for my Liver and buy this, which I put in my herbal tea, you can put in juice, water etc too:-

www.indigo-herbs.co.uk/shop/buy/milk-thistle-powder

galaxygirl45 Sun 06-Nov-16 08:52:18

Whilst not having gallstones, I get pain in my gallbladder after an acute attack of cholecystitis (infection of gallbladder) that landed me in hospital for 5 days on very high doses of antibiotics and morphine. They were really shocked when my cholesterol levels were very low and I didn't have any stones. But my trigger is dairy fat - cheese, cream, butter. Even now, if I eat something I shouldn't I get this awful pain in my gallbladder and resort to the Buscopan (it's a muscle relaxant used for IBS but works wonders on the gallbladder too).

TheoriginalLEM Sun 06-Nov-16 08:57:56

i couldn't eat ANY fat and in the end couldn't eat anything it was grim.

I think cut fat completely for a while and give your gb chance to settle.

I was having weekly attacks and was hospitalised twice. Still took months to get the fucker gone.

Saying that, you may never have another episode everyone with gsll stones is different.

You can have skimmed milk as its 0 fat

TheoriginalLEM Sun 06-Nov-16 09:00:29

and definitely don't get pregnant as it is known to exacerbate gallstones sad

milkjetmum Sun 06-Nov-16 13:38:25

Thanks all, have had an OK couple of days and appetite coming back. Sticking to fat free but still get mild discomfort after every meal. Things like veg soup, skimmed milk porridge and grilled chicken all been OK so far.

Do you still get attacks even when avoiding fat? That's what I'm most concerned about as the first episode was not after a meal, had just done school pickup feeling nauseous and it went from there. Second severe one was after a meal but not especially high fat (chilli and baked potato). I do a long commute to work and not sure how I'd get home if struck then, but it seems generally happens in the evening?

Have lost 4lb since weds though so every cloud silver lining eh? confused

LunaLoveg00d Sun 06-Nov-16 19:04:06

I had my one and only attack of gallstones when my eldest baby was 3 weeks old and it was the worst pain i've ever experienced, far worse than labour. Although I had discomfort from then until I had my gallbladder out it was never as acute as it was that first time. So it may not happen again.

I was recommended to eat a low fat, vegetarian diet and have the occasional glass of wine. It's mainly about finding out what affects you the most - cheese, custard, icecream and pastry of any type were the most evil foods to me but I could manage chocolate ok ;-)

TheoriginalLEM Sun 06-Nov-16 19:04:17

my first major attack was in the middle of the night. The pain was so bad i couldn't breathe and i went to hospital with full blue lights and sirens.

i lost four stone in 12 weeks shock

ask your dr for tramadol for the pain but you wont be able to drive while taking it.

LunaLoveg00d Sun 06-Nov-16 19:07:26

Yes mine was middle of the night too, just after i'd breastfed my 3 week old. Emergency doctor arrived, wanted me to go to hospital without the baby (how DH was supposed to feed an exclusively bf baby with no formula in the house and shops closed at 3am was not discussed), I refused to go so he gave me an injection of something which made me feel very drunk and I don't remember much after that.

HackAttack Sun 06-Nov-16 19:12:41

I couldn't eat anything with mine, even salad caused an attack, I had so many attacks they took it out within a month, no bother since

fuckweasel Sun 06-Nov-16 20:02:53

I had my first gallstone experience a few weeks ago and ended up in hospital on IV antibiotics for acute cholecystitis. I am sticking rigidly to a very low fat diet (<5%) in fear of another episode. Seeing consultant in a couple of weeks about surgery to remove gallbladder soon. As with pp, it started in the middle of the night. 'Trapped wind' I thought, how wrong was I!

Lizardtoes Sun 06-Nov-16 20:08:31

Caffeine, alcohol and chilli can set them off too. Basically all the fun in life. You'll manage though. Lidl do chocolate desert pots in the chilled food section that are 4% fat

DorothyHarris Sun 06-Nov-16 20:10:53

I came on to see if anyone else was experiencing similar. Had a trip to A&E in the middle of the night on Monday with horrendous pains in my right rib which seemed to radiate to stomach and back
Had another episode today, awful pain and a real feeling of being unwell like mild flu. Does this sound like gallbladder pain?

DorothyHarris Sun 06-Nov-16 20:11:42

Lizards it was chilli I had the night I went to A&E oh lord.

Lizardtoes Sun 06-Nov-16 20:15:17

I had my first attack after binging cake during bake off while 23 weeks pregnant. I got sent home with a bottle of gaviscon, they thought it was trapped wind! Didn't have a diagnosis until after dd was born.
Wouldn't wish them on anyone. The op was fine, bit sore but nothing like an attack.
Dorothy it does sound like gallstones to me, ask your gp to refer you for an ultrasound scan, xrays don't pick them up.

DorothyHarris Sun 06-Nov-16 20:16:37

Thanks lizard I'm making an appointment tomorrow. The pain is horrific.

Lizardtoes Sun 06-Nov-16 20:18:42

It really is dorothy flowers worse than labour for sure

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now