Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sciatica help

(9 Posts)
PhyllisWig Thu 27-Oct-16 16:30:48

Well this isn't nice!

Am pretty sure this is what I have - really sore arse, sore leg, tingly patches. Saw something on the nhs site which says if you lie flat and lift your leg and it gets worse sciatica is likely.

So what helps? It's not super painful, more sore and uncomfortable. Hot bath? Heat packs?

troubleatmill2011 Thu 27-Oct-16 19:42:27

I've suffered badly with sciatica on and off for years. Ibuprofen, heat or ice rotating is good. Also search on line for sciatica stretches, they really help. Keep moving too, little and often. Good luck

Loulou2kent Thu 27-Oct-16 19:54:54

Feel for you OP. Had this before years ago after a car accident & I was pretty much in tears if sat at my desk too long at work. It hurt to sleep. It hurt to stand.

In the end I went for acupuncture & wow. The feeling that they are getting all the right points is so mad...but it did ease off eventually.

Hot baths & hot water bottles helped me most. Ice is meant to help but I couldn't brave that! Good luck OP hope it doesn't stay around too long!

Crankycunt Thu 27-Oct-16 20:02:11

You must keep moving. Usually take tramadol and diazapam when mine gets really bad.

I had a nerve block a couple of weeks ago, and the pain has shot through the roof. I've been on morphine it's so bad.

I do understand your pain, but heat and ice, warm baths and moving will help.

Wolfiefan Thu 27-Oct-16 20:04:07

I had sciatica which was sudden, shooting and excruciating pains down the leg. Wouldn't be able to stand for a while.
See GP.
If you have numbness where a saddle would sit or any toilet related issues (eg wet yourself) straight into A and E.

PhyllisWig Thu 27-Oct-16 20:41:57

Cheers all. Had a hot bath which definately helped a bit. It hurts most right at the base of my back and the back of my right leg. I may try ibropufen before bed.

troubleatmill2011 Thu 27-Oct-16 20:43:57

Sleep with a pillow between your legs and legs pulled up - also helps and is a common tip given. Worked me for and other I know who suffer

verystressedmum Fri 28-Oct-16 00:02:15

I had sciatica for 6 months I couldn't stand straight and literally couldn't walk it was horrific. I was on gabapentin, tramadol, diazepam, co codamol, naproxen the whole lot. Didn't help.
I saw a chiropractor and he loosened things up a bit and worked quite a bit on my upper body, and I started to sleep on my side (the opposite side to the problem side) with pillows between my legs and under my torso and finally it eased and then went away. No idea if that's what helped or it would have gone anyway, but I'm grateful whatever did it!

Bingybongybashy Thu 03-Nov-16 17:22:58

A chiropractor got rid of mine after about 4/5 sessions!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now