Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Emetophobic with a bug, help :'(

(12 Posts)
tallulahturtle Wed 26-Oct-16 19:27:25

Dh had a bug a few days ago , he was shaky at first, fever, then he was "unwell"- I struggle with certain words. He was unwell once, then had just diarrhoea for two days and is now fine.
I went down with aches and shivering yesterday at 4pm and have spent the day drinking fat flat coke, have eaten 2 cheese twists and that's it. Was feeling just about up to going to do my horse so drank not even a half glass of water. Not even 100 yards up the road had to admit defeat as mouth got all watery and metallic (haven't been unwell since I was 7 but I still remember it). Husband is now doing horse.

Question is how do I manage this? I really don't want to get dehydrated but also I don't want be unwell as the thought terrifies me sad

lubeybooby Wed 26-Oct-16 19:47:37

drink cooled boiled water only (seriously, not even mineral water unless its been boiled) and starve 24 hours. lots of sleep. I do the 24 hours from last sickness so i'd count that from when it nearly happened to you

tallulahturtle Wed 26-Oct-16 20:11:47

I've got urge to down a load of water as so thirsty (have had fever for 24 hours), but I know this would be bad. Currently siping coconut water.

PhoenixRisingSlowly Wed 26-Oct-16 20:47:51

I'm emetophobic too. Last time for you age 7, that's pretty impressive! I don't know how old you are but you are an adult so obviously ages. For me it was 15. Look at it this way, you have clearly developed a degree of mind-over-matter and I think this will help here, so try not to worry. In the future you might want to explore getting a stash of anti-emetics from your GP like Motilium (which used to be OTC but is now prescription only) to ease your mind a bit. For now I reckon you'll be fine, you have probably passed the point where anyone else would have been unwell and it's just about feeling rather rotten for a few days. I think the suggestion above about cooled boiled water is good. smile

tallulahturtle Wed 26-Oct-16 20:58:09

Hey, I'm 31 so yes it's been some time. Will talk to the doctor (although it's not easy getting me in there !!!) . May give them a call when I'm back on my feet. Last time it nearly happened ,I was 16 and had just discovered alcohol on holiday (Greek Raki) Amazed people by managing to keep it down when they were convinced it was inevitable (was actually heaving, but my body wouldn't allow it).
Thanks for your replies guys, wouldn't wish this phobia on anyone.

Lupinlady5 Thu 27-Oct-16 14:26:33

If you need to be ill, you'd be far better off getting it over and done with. If you haven't been sick since you were 7, you've no doubt built it up like a monster in your mind.

DianaMitford Thu 27-Oct-16 20:33:57

Fellow true emetophobic here. It's bloody awful isn't it? I second the pp who suggested the anti emetics. My DP is a GP and I have insisted that he break out the cyclizine if anyone in the family happens to be unwell!
Hope you feel better soon.

PhoenixRisingSlowly Thu 27-Oct-16 20:47:33

Hope you're feeling better today OP smile

tallulahturtle Thu 27-Oct-16 21:43:40

Hi, yep feeling a lot better today. Have finally eaten something and an sipping away at fluids. Not felt "unwell" at all just have a noisy gut and put it this way, can not trust a fart!! Although it is getting less explosive :0.
Tempted to work tomorrow as I feel bad after having a couple of sick days last month with a tooth abscess but I work in retail and the thought of being on my feet all day is making me think it's not a good idea.

PhoenixRisingSlowly Thu 27-Oct-16 22:30:20

Yay, glad you're feeling better. Taking at least a day off would probably be a good plan, if you assume your feeling really grotty was the point when others would have succumbed, then you should wait at least 2 days or so from that to avoid spreading the bug to other people. There are other emetophobes out there grin

tallulahturtle Fri 28-Oct-16 05:19:13

Yeah , will take today off. Have just woken up as I'm hungry and the rice I ate last night hasn't made an exit yet so looks like I'm better. I will feel guilty but I don't want to infect others and would also rather build my strength up then go straight back onto the shop floor lifting 18kg for each customer transaction. Sadly we don't really have any admin/office/background type jobs to do, it's pretty much all lifting.

PhoenixRisingSlowly Fri 28-Oct-16 10:48:25

Heavy lifting and a dodgy tummy could go so, so wrong. grin Better safe than sorry. Glad you're on the mend as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now