Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Borderline ECG

(10 Posts)
Godstopper Thu 20-Oct-16 13:07:41

Has this happened to anyone else?

I have a suspicion that the computer has probably over interpreted a normal finding. Anyway ...

I went for a routine ECG yesterday, and the computer spits out:

"Slight inferior repolarization disturbance, consider ischemia, LV overload or aspecific change:

Small negative T in AVF,
With negative T in II III"

Dr Google warns me that I am about to have a heart attack within the next two hours. Are negative T waves normal?

I am 35, female, never had any cardiac issues beyond occasional PVC's that I've always had (I get 5-20-ish a day which is well within the range of normal), resting heart rate 55-60, blood pressure 90/55 most of the time, walk about 5 miles a day, and assumed I'd be the last person to have something funky going on.

The offending ECG is attached if anyone wants to guess before I go to collect the official result from my own G.P.

Not unduly worried, but a bit perplexed!

Godstopper Thu 20-Oct-16 13:09:00

Sorry, here it is

lougle Thu 20-Oct-16 14:10:37

Who did the ECG?

PurpleWithRed Thu 20-Oct-16 14:16:55

why did you go for an ECG? I can post this somewhere you might get some interested and educated answers if you can post a couple of better photos.

Godstopper Thu 20-Oct-16 14:31:00

The nurse (she said she couldn't interpret results, and I should see my G.P for them).

I've been having a few non-specific symptoms: anxiety, panic attacks, weight loss, mid-cycle bleeding, and with all of it, an increase (but not drastic) in my PVC's. I am at high risk for a type of tumour called a pheochromocytoma, but my last biochemical tests (6 months ago) were very normal, and I do not have the symptoms that other family members have had. As my pheo. tests are normal (MRI clear two years ago, due another one in Spring), I was sent for an ECG, and then if I wanted, to go to the palpitations clinic. But as I said, my PVC's are not often, and I can go days without any.

My ferritin level was 11, and all other blood tests are normal (I'm now taking ferrous fumarate). I'm guessing the small increase in PVC's is due to my heart working a little harder, and a natural side effect of the anxiety.

I am being sent for an ultra sound and exam about the mid-cycle bleeding. The Dr says it's probably just a coincidence, probably nothing to worry about, and to keep taking the iron pills.

I'll post some better photos.

Godstopper Thu 20-Oct-16 14:40:51

Hi Purple,

That would be most appreciated (though perhaps not if there are worrisome answers!). I'll get in to see my G.P about it next week anyway.

Thanks a heap smile

U2HasTheEdge Thu 20-Oct-16 15:14:14

ECG's confuse the fuck out of me.

I have seen so many of these type of results at work and then the DR says it is fine and normal.

It seems more rare that I find one that comes out as normal.

I have no knowledge about readings at all but come across hundreds of ECGS a month that all say abnormal and talk about T waves and stuff that the doctors say is absolutely fine.

Hopefully they will say the same about yours.

U2HasTheEdge Thu 20-Oct-16 15:14:53

Sorry about the apostrophe that shouldn't be there ;)

Godstopper Fri 21-Oct-16 17:30:46

Thanks U2, my G.P has indeed confirmed that it is fine and normal.

He says that there was some interference resulting in the lines not being quite straight; but even if the T-Waves were inverted in those particular leads, it has no significance given I am quite obviously healthy overall.

I still have to have a 24hr thing to check out the PVC's, but that's routine.

millymae Fri 21-Oct-16 23:16:21

Not sure if this is of any help or comfort but OH who had had a chest infection that had proved difficult to shift and had left him a little breathless had an ECG arranged by his GP almost as an after thought. He was subsequently phoned at home to be told that the ECG was abnormal, showed that he could have had an MI and that he was being referred urgently to a Cardiologist.

The appointment at the hospital came through within days. I went with him and we both saw the print out of the ECG that was ordered by the Consultant which was clearly abnormal.

The Consultant left us in no doubt that based on the ECG OH was highly likely to need surgery at the regional cardiothoracic unit, but that before this was arranged an angiogram would be carried out as a day case to show exactly where the problem lay.

OH had the angiogram within the week, was awake whilst it was being performed and was told that everything was absolutely as it should be - there were no blockages or narrowing of the arteries to be seen and his heart was beating exactly as it should.

When OH asked how this could be when he had had 2 very abnormal ECGs the Consultant simply shrugged his shoulders and said that he had no explanation for it. - these things just happened sometimes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now