Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Losing blood from rear, not piles - advice please?

(14 Posts)
Bebespain Wed 19-Oct-16 19:56:32

I have been losing blood every time I go to the toilet for a number two for the past three weeks. The blood seems to come out first, it is bright red.

I have even had a little blood mixed with mucus "escape" a couple of times. I really thought it was an internal haemorrhoid.

I went to the GP today as I´ve had a few bouts of diarrhea and some urgency to go to the loo. When this has happened it´s been accompanied with sharp tummy pain.

The Doctor gave me an internal examination and told me I haven´t any piles. She has referred me for a Colonoscopy. I burst out crying, I am so scared.

Has anybody had anything similar?

btw, I am not in the U.K

GraceGrape Wed 19-Oct-16 20:05:16

I'm sorry, I don't have any experience of this but wanted to reply as you sound so worried. You've done the right thing by going to your GP and it sounds like the colonoscopy is the logical next step. Do you know how long you'll have to wait for an appointment? I would chase it up if you're worried

Johnstonbananas Wed 19-Oct-16 21:35:43

Please don't be worried about the colonoscopy it's actually alright. I didn't have an pain with it at all (the throat was is a different story).

I've had diarrohea, blood and mucus for 8 months straight now with a pain on my left hand side and a very bloated stomach with exhaustion. My colonoscopy was clear, no lumps or anything. So please don't worry about it. It's annoying I don't have a diagnosis. But the colonoscopy does put your mind at ease.

They may even find internal hemarroids with the colonoscopy that the doctor missed-this happened to my friend

As an aside. You can get mucus with ibs and even blood some times.

LuluJakey1 Wed 19-Oct-16 23:08:13

I had blood and mucous - bright red blood and it was inflammation of the bowel lining. The hospital gave me some medication to slow down the passage of food for a couple of weeks and the lning repaired itself and that was that. Colonoscopy was not awful. Please don't worry. Bright red blood is likely to be piles or polyp or inflammation.

Princesspink999 Wed 19-Oct-16 23:15:33

Could be coeliac- very manageable

Graceflorrick Wed 19-Oct-16 23:17:10

I had this, it was caused by anal fissures. Don't worry OP, they're just being careful. flowers

Bloopbleep Wed 19-Oct-16 23:21:26

I had this & it was due to an infection (colitis but not the autoimmune kind). The colonoscopy was fine. The painkiller and sedation combo is wonderful(!) and you probably won't remember it. I remember bits and felt nothing but was fascinated at seeing the inside of my colon. I do remember voicing my displeasure at the dr not turning on the camera as it approached my bum as I wanted to recite going on a bear hunt as it... erm... entered. I'm hoping they're used to people babbling shite.
Anyway Course of antibiotics and steroids cleared it all up and had nothing since (4/5 years ago)

notapizzaeater Wed 19-Oct-16 23:24:00

Agree could be something innocent - my dad has diviticulus (or something spelt like that !!) and bleeds from his bum,

SylvesterMcM0nkeyMcBean Wed 19-Oct-16 23:25:06

I've had that, diagnosed as (mild) ulcerative colitis. Tablets every day to keep it under control, but no real bother.

Bebespain Thu 20-Oct-16 18:34:56

Thank You everybody for your replies and good advice! It really means a lot

I am feeling much calmer today. I went into a terrible panic yesterday. Made the stupid mistake of Googling.

I have to have blood tests on Tues and I´ve to give a stool sample also.

Apparently the hospital will ring me directly with an appointment. I don´t know when it will be as yesterday in the surgery my brain switched off, I was so upset I didn´t even think to ask.

GazingAtStars Thu 20-Oct-16 18:37:33

I had the same symptoms, Dr found nothing wrong, I had a colonoscopy and it turns out I have internal haemorrhoids. Please try not to worry, there are all kinds of things it can be

sonlypuppyfat Thu 20-Oct-16 18:42:09

I've had this on and off since I was 15, 35 years later I still get it. Mine is from when I get constipated my poor bum splits and even a tiny spot of blood in the toilet looks like loads, try not to worry. And if it's bright red blood on the poo not in it that's usually a fissure.

Salmiak Thu 20-Oct-16 18:46:32

I had the same as you, bright red blood, sometimes only a smear, sometimes mixed with mucous, sometimes lots of red blood on the toilet paper when I wiped.

Gp stuck her finger up my bum, couldn't feel anything. So referred me to a bum doctor. He stuck his finger up my bottom and had a very thorough feel around, but couldn't find anything, he was very reassuring though and said if it was anything sinister then I'd done the right thing by going to the gp as early detection is key. So was sent for a colonoscopy.

Turned out to be tiny internal haemorrhoids.

dippywhentired Fri 21-Oct-16 15:57:10

I had this too - for about the last 6 weeks, pretty much every time I went to the loo it was loose and often with bright red blood. I had a colonoscopy this morning - don't remember anything about it all. He found one small polyp, which he removed and also what looks like mild ulcerative colitis affecting the first 15cm. He's given me some anti-inflammatory suppositories and I have to go back next week to see if symptoms have improved. Try not to google! I was terrified I had bowel cancer so am actually feeling quite relieved. Google is not your friend!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now