Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Groomed nails make me feel better!

(7 Posts)
Reapwhatyousow Wed 19-Oct-16 19:01:30

Which is why I am posting in General Health.

Can one combine products, ie shellac base coat, cure under uv light, then add a regular colour and top with shellac top coat and cure again? I'm hoping to be enlightened here, I'm investing in a home kit which I calculate will save me quite a bit. Tia

Hope this is not considered frivilous but it makes me feel better about my mutilated breast post bc.

GenghisCalm Wed 19-Oct-16 19:46:20

No, you need a UV cured nail varnish as normal nail varnishes bubble under the top coat.

Definitely not a frivolous purchase I consider it a necessity for keeping my nails healthy and gorgeous looking.

Reapwhatyousow Thu 20-Oct-16 13:01:38

Aah thank you for responding GenghisCalm.
That makes sense. Can a regular colour be used over the shellac base coat? (I have such a collection that is going to waste) My theory is that regular polish can be removed without damaging the base/shellac coat.

MothersGrim Thu 20-Oct-16 23:44:48

You can buy a product to stir into your varnish so you can use it as a gel.

No idea if it's good.

PhoenixJasmine Thu 20-Oct-16 23:47:54

I get a gel French done as I can't wear colours at work but then put normal nail varnish colours on top for weekends/nights out etc, works well, then when you take the colour off you still have lovely French gel manicure underneath all pristine

Polkadotties Fri 21-Oct-16 06:38:26

Phoenix I used to do that with just clear acrylic. Could then change my colour as I pleased.

Reapwhatyousow Mon 24-Oct-16 19:52:55

Thank you, the kit has arrived and I have used it, very pleased with the result. The next day I decided to put a regular colour on top.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now