Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Best over the counter medication for acid stomach?

(10 Posts)
BusStopBetty Fri 14-Oct-16 22:45:36

Had a bug recently which made me feel awfully sick, but wasn't actually sick. Can't quite shake it off, still feel nauseous and have a stomach that feels like a washing machine filled with acid.

Any suggestions for medication gratefully received.

FadedRed Fri 14-Oct-16 22:51:42

Ranitidine is the propriety name for branded name Zantac. Take one every 12 hours, although there is a longer acting variety I think which lasts 20 hours. If the symptom persists you need to see your GP.

ChesterFuckingDraws Fri 14-Oct-16 22:54:47

Ranitidine (you'll get it in supermarkets) is good for acid. I take 2a day (150mg), on the advice of my GP and a glug of gaviscone if I need anything extra.

BusStopBetty Fri 14-Oct-16 22:55:13

Thank you. I'll pop out in the morning.

Eating lots helps but is not helping my waistline.

IHeartKingThistle Fri 14-Oct-16 22:57:54

Omeprazole from GP was the only thing that helped me when I was in the same situation. Zantac works in the same way but I needed something stronger. Took double dose of Omeprazole for a long time as my stomach was inflamed. Feel better soon.

Groovee Fri 14-Oct-16 23:14:41

I would see your GP. They can prescribe stronger stuff. I've moved on to lansoprazol now while awaiting an endoscopy.

MakeLemonade Fri 14-Oct-16 23:25:25

Omeprazole is the best thing and you can now get it over the counter too.

BusStopBetty Sat 15-Oct-16 12:27:08

Thanks everyone. I've bought some omeprazole so I'll see how that goes before I bother the gp. Hopefully it's just a side effect of the bug and will settle down.

MeadowHay Sat 15-Oct-16 22:42:57

I've been taking omeprazole for years now for acid relux, I get it on prescription but I know you can get it OTC now. Works very well and starts working quite quickly too.

BusStopBetty Sun 16-Oct-16 12:21:33

Two doses in and I do feel a bit better today.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now