Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone else hate the dentist ?

(7 Posts)
sammyjayneex Fri 14-Oct-16 09:51:10

Me and my 4 girls have a dentist appointment today and I'm dreading it I hate the dentist. I'm scared I will need a lot of teeth removing! I'm scared they will look at my mouth and say it's too much work we will just remove them and I'll need dentures and I'm only 28. I know I do need a lot of work doing because I've had some problems . I've never had good teeth since being a child and my parents were not exactly very good at maintaining my dental health. I think I only went to the dentists when there was a real problem as a child. I'm going to be feel of very low after this appointment.

Cherylene Fri 14-Oct-16 15:00:45

I think everyone hates it to some extent.

I went recently and have to have two fillings redone. That is better than I thought - I thought it was going to be a root filling and abscess at the least - turns out those teeth are fine grin.

I had them cleaned which was a bit yuk at the time, but I am very pleased with the result, so it was worth it really wink

Hope it goes better than you think.

crispandcheesesanwichplease Fri 14-Oct-16 15:34:35

I am irrationally scared of the dentist. Never had to have much work done, luckily, never had a bad experience. But I remain anxious and have, on occasion, cancelled check up appointments when feeling fragile.

I never let my DD know how I feel however. I take her at a different time to my appointment. We have the same dentist who must wonder what's going on when I visit alone and am meek and quiet, then turn up with my DD a fortnight later all chatty and confident!!

LaundryQueenHatesIroning Fri 14-Oct-16 15:38:52

I am exactly the same op, I hate the pain and it makes me feel panicky and violated when they put their hands in my mouth. I am dreading having to take DS, 10 months.

What did help was when I had to have a tooth removed and they agreed to sedate me. Obviously being sedated on the day helped but it also helped remembering being in the chair and not feeling scared, if that makes any sense. Best of luck to you though, it's awful flowers

MyBeloved Fri 14-Oct-16 15:41:25

Me. I have not been to the dentist in almost 15 years. I hope I never have to.

Ugh.

MadisonAvenue Fri 14-Oct-16 15:48:25

I hate going. My six monthly appointment should've been in March and I keep making them and then rearranging them for a later date.

I'd actually started to accept going and had a filling a year ago which went very smoothly. I really liked the dentist, a young woman who was very gentle.
However, when I was sent my appointment for March the letter named a different dentist, new to the practice. When I called to query this I was told that the lovely lady dentist no longer worked there and I'd been assigned to her new replacement.

I've been going to this practice for 25 years and had the same dentist for 20 of those years until he retired and sold up. This new dentist that I've been assigned to will be my 5th in five years since the practice was taken over. I get used to one and then they leave and I have to build my confidence up with another.

Heatherjayne1972 Fri 14-Oct-16 20:49:56

I'm a hygienist
We see many people who get nervous. It's very normal
Best thing is to be upfront tell the dentist you're nervous. A good dentist/ hygienist will do everything they can to make it less scary
We can reduce pain these days
It's best to come along regularly get to know us Some of us are ok

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now