Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

metronidazole 400mg

(4 Posts)
Angel0708 Tue 11-Oct-16 16:53:09

Hello

I was prescribed metronidazole 400mg for 3 times a day for 10 days for a gum abscess

My dentist advised me not to fall pregnant within 4 months

The pharmacist advised me only to wait 2 weeks so a bit confused

Has anyone else been given this advise when taking metronidazole 400mg?

dannyglick Wed 12-Oct-16 09:03:18

Angel, check the Patient Information Leaflet in the box.

MulberryBush12 Wed 12-Oct-16 10:59:43

That type of very specific information isn't included on the Metronidazole patient information leaflet.
Not sure why you were advised leaving 4mth before TTC confused-I am also a dentist btw.
Your pharmacist's advice sounds sensible; the half-life of Metronidazole is 8 hours so it should be well out of "your system" within 2 weeks.
HTH

Angel0708 Thu 13-Oct-16 21:25:24

Thank u for your advice yes I checked the leaflet but didn't see any reference to this

Just left confused as 2 pharmacists have said the same that they would leave it 2 weeks to be safe and also they phoned the hospital research and they also said the same

I saw my dentist again this week and he was still adomant not to risk it and to wait 4 months so we're confused who to listen to!

I stopped taking them 29th August so hopefully completely safe now and our my system 😃 X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now