Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Viral or bacterial? When to see the doctor?

(11 Posts)
FatimaLovesBread Tue 11-Oct-16 04:21:06

Just wondering when people would visit the doctor, if at all. I've been ill since Saturday and feel awful.

Main symptom is the sore throat, not a little bit sore but very. I'm struggling to swallow and it v swollen in there, the cracker bit keeps catching on my tongue.
My glands in my throat are also massive.
I've had fever, hot and cold chills, since Saturday, my whole body aches particular my lower back/kidneys and legs.
I thought I felt a bit better earlier this evening but it's got worse again during the night and have now got earache, headache and feel nauseous.

I'm guessing it's just tonsillitis but I've not felt this bad with it before. I don't want to trail to the doctors to just be told it's a virus and I'm probably overreacting.

Tbh if I booked a doctors appointment I don't think I'd have the energy to get there.
Also got a six month old to look after who has been poorly too but seems to have fought it off a bit better.

It's just a virus isn't it and I should get a grip?

MulberryBush12 Tue 11-Oct-16 11:05:54

I think you should definitely go to the GP ASAP. No way of knowing whether viral or bacterial unless you go along. It may delay your recovery if you try and ride it out.

BravoHopeful Tue 11-Oct-16 11:09:16

My 5yo had this a couple of weeks ago and had to go into hospital for 4 days for IV antibiotics. The bacteria had got into her lymph glands (making them so massive that it was painful for him to move his neck). That can be dangerous if left untreated as it can spread around the body causing infections in other areas. So I would definitely go and have it checked out.

I discovered (which I never knew before) that if you have no cough, it's more likely to be bacterial, but if you have a cough it's more likely to be viral. Not 100% infallible, but helps to guide.

FatimaLovesBread Tue 11-Oct-16 12:59:02

Ooh that's interesting to know, I don't have a cough. Which I'm glad about because I think that would be agony with the swollen throat. I felt slightly better after some sleep this morning and my temp dropped to normal. But then it's gone back up and all energy has dissappeared again so I've rung the doctors.
Got an appointment tomorrow as the only one today was at 9pm and I'll likely be in bed.
Have managed to arrange for my parents to come over to pick DD up from preschool and drive me to the doctors and I don't have the energy for either.
Luckily 6 month old is napping and 3 year old at childminders so I can get some rest

Thank you both

FruitCider Tue 11-Oct-16 13:05:41

I had tonsillitis in August, identifiable by the massive tonsils. I waited it out and was better within a week. General advice is to see a doctor if an infection lasts for longer than 3 weeks.

MulberryBush12 Tue 11-Oct-16 13:22:22

Good to hear you've got a GP appointment. Hope you feel better soon!!

BravoHopeful Tue 11-Oct-16 14:45:07

let us know how it goes OP

General advice is to see a doctor if an infection lasts for longer than 3 weeks
Fruit - is this really true? I thought the 3 week guidance applied to coughs, not infections. An infection that's considerably worse than anything you've had before and is steadily getting worse should surely be seen earlier! Otherwise no one would survive meningitis or similar.

MulberryBush12 Tue 11-Oct-16 15:26:58

BravoHopeful my thoughts too !
Used to work in Head &Neck, the poor Quinsy patients are hard to forget.
Always think it's worth getting checked out .

Natsku Tue 11-Oct-16 15:35:56

Sounds nasty. Ask the GP if they can do a finger prick CRP test (really surprised that its not standard in the UK) as that'll tell in a couple of minutes whether its likely bacterial or viral.

FruitCider Tue 11-Oct-16 16:21:06

Meningitis is not your run of the mill infection!

shewolfmum Tue 11-Oct-16 21:40:53

Vit c to bowel tolerance?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now