Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Menopause

(11 Posts)
CheltGlosLocal Sun 09-Oct-16 16:36:35

So my GP says I am too young to be going through the menopause, I am 49. My sister went through it at 40. I have a coil so haven't had a period for 5 years, so couldn't tell if they have stopped or not. But I have no energy whatsoever, I am shattered all the time yet get at least 7 hours sleep a night. Does anyone else find this ?

ChuckBiscuits Sun 09-Oct-16 16:43:24

Mine said that at 40 and I've missed out on 8 years HRT and now have osteoporosis. What a great result for me.

I was close to cracking up, no energy, no sleep, hot flushes, aches and pains and was crawling upstairs at the end of the day. Not good.

I'd recommend going to a different GP.

PollyPerky Sun 09-Oct-16 17:37:17

Too young at 49? What planet is your GP on? The average age in the UK is 51. The range is 45 -56. You are not too young.

I suggest you find another GP. One who knows about the menopause and can prescribe you HRT.

Have a good read of the website www.menopausematters.co.uk written by a consultant gyane who is the chairperson on the BMS.

NavyandWhite Sun 09-Oct-16 20:21:32

GP is talking bollocks.
I'm nearly 49 and definitely have started the menopause, 3 periods this year, hot flushes, brain fog, joint pain etc.

StarOnTheTree Sun 09-Oct-16 22:11:50

I was classed as post-menopausal at 46 without ever being tested

danTDM Mon 10-Oct-16 09:00:46

Me too star

GJEYA Mon 10-Oct-16 09:08:43

Everyone's body is different. You can go through Menopause at any age. I do not agree with the GP. Try to get to a Sexual health clinic. A blood test should give the correct indication of your diagnosis.

scarfaceace Mon 10-Oct-16 09:20:41

Mine was all over and done with by 42! See a different GP.

devilinmyshoes Mon 10-Oct-16 11:17:44

That's ridiculous, am also all over and done with at 45.

devilinmyshoes Mon 10-Oct-16 11:18:41

I mean with the menopause! I'm not over and done with, I'm glad the reproductive years have finished though!

CheltGlosLocal Fri 14-Oct-16 12:42:38

Thanks for all your replies everyone, I have been a tad manic and hadnt had chance to log on. I have had a coil in for the past 5 years so haven't had a period in all that time. I have just lost 1 stone and 3.5lb on Slimming World so hoping that maybe that would help with the energy thing, when I can actually get time off work to get to the docs, I will try and see a different GP, I work in a different town to where I live and don't drive, this one is a woman though and it is mostly male doctors in my surgery.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now