Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Emetophobia - anyone else suffer with this?

(4 Posts)
GemmaC1990 Sat 08-Oct-16 21:36:28

I suffer with emetophobia and I'm actually so ashamed of myself. This whole illness consumes me. I spend the whole of winter worrying if I'm going to catch a sickness bug because of my fear of vomiting. As bad as this sounds I feel like when my daughter is sick I get in such a panic and I let her dad deal with her, like I run away from her. I caught a bug from her last year and I just constantly worry. I'm hoping to get some sort of medical help for it because I can't go on like this. Kids need their mum when they're Ill and I should have a different attitude towards it but it just consumes me. Does anyone else suffer with this or is it just silly little me?

JinkxMonsoon Sat 08-Oct-16 21:38:07

Nope, not just you.

flowers

NightNightBadger19962 Sat 08-Oct-16 21:43:16

It is really common, must be horrible to suffer. Have you seen www.emetophobiaresource.org? CBT can be effective - you have to step by step start facing your fear, at the lowest level, until you can face that step easily, and gradually give up any safety behaviours and eliminate avoidance of situations. NOT all at once, and with some things to support you, but it is the way forward.

GemmaC1990 Sat 08-Oct-16 22:33:49

I didn't know about that, thanks will give it a go. I know no one likes vomiting but most people just deal with it and move on. But me I worry about it constantly. My daughter is complaining about a tummy ache now and I can't stop worrying. I want to put an end to this part of my life! It's so hard to live with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now