Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Short cycle; long periods

(5 Posts)
HenriettaTurkey Thu 06-Oct-16 11:18:00

Can anyone help? I am 39 and had my 2nd (and final) DC 20months ago. I am on cerazette, which i have been on for years with no issues.

But now I have developed a 21 day cycle, with 10+ days of bleeding each month. So I have my period 50% of the time. The periods are not especially heavy...they just go on forever.

Last time I spoke to GP I was given mess to stop bleed, which it did once. But I don't know if taking meds each time is really the answer. I'd rather know why it was happening and if it's an issue.

Has anyone had any similar experiences?

HenriettaTurkey Thu 06-Oct-16 11:18:34

*meds; not mess

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 06-Oct-16 13:20:21

I would go back to the GP also because you could become anaemic as a result of this bleeding. Would the GP be willing to refer you to a gynae?

HenriettaTurkey Thu 06-Oct-16 15:39:24

Thanks, Attila. Maybe I should...no idea about the gynaecologist but worth asking.

It's wrecking my sex life, my weight is harder to control as I'm frequently bloated, and I don't understand the change. (Unless it's a precursor to...the change!)

HenriettaTurkey Fri 07-Oct-16 17:45:06

UPDATE I have spoken to the GP on the telephone and she has changed my pill from Cerazette to Noriday. She also suggested booking in for a swab to rule out infection. She says it's probably just natural hormonal changes hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now