Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

GERD and diet -anyone found one that works??

(3 Posts)
sunshine05 Wed 05-Oct-16 18:35:15

I'm into my 2nd month with acid reflux. I've been on Omeprozole and although it helped a bit my doc has switched me to Lansoprazole as I was rushing to the loo a bit with the other one and he said this one might be better. First day on it and my throat is sore, like there's acid in it, with the omeprazole I didn't have this. I've been looking online at diets to try and help the reflux myself but its all so conflicting. There's books on Amazon selling low carb diets, other websites saying low fat is best. How the hell am I supposed to know what is best? Has anyone gone on either a low fat or a low carb diet and noticed an improvement?? I just want to help make myself better rather than relying on PPI's to do it when diet is probably playing a huge part in the problem. thanks!

sadie9 Wed 05-Oct-16 19:41:31

Well, I have gastritis and take Omeprazole (Losec) every day for years now. I went through all that, stopping eating this that and the other.
Then one day I said to hell with this, nothing helps, I'll shut up and do what the GP suggests and take the tablets. And eat a bit of chocolate here and there and have a glass of wine on a weekend and move on with my life.
I do find with the PPIs that the first week of taking them there can be some 'throat' thing going on but that fades away. I have no side effects now at all.

sunshine05 Wed 05-Oct-16 21:06:13

Yeah I feel like I'm obsessing with getting rid of it but maybe I need to trust the doctors. There's so much stuff on the internet about PPI's being a pharmaceutical money making drug that doesn't help etc. And of course the scaremongering about the acid damaging the oesophagus leading to possible cancer etc. The thing is at the moment I can't have a glass of wine or chocolate or even a cup of tea. Coffee is my drug of choice and I still have one small one in the morning but I can't even go to a coffee shop and enjoy my flat white. Straight away I get that horrible fluttering sensation, like my throat has something stuck in it. I'm just feeling miserable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now