Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Periods changing

(4 Posts)
tristerflexu Tue 04-Oct-16 10:46:31

I'm 42 and have always had very light regular periods with a short luteal phase and a history of low progesterone.

My last period was about 10 days later than usual and I didn't have my usual ovulation pains or sore boobs lost ovulation. This cycle arms to be going a similar way. I'm nearly 4 weeks since my last period, have had 4 days of light mid cycle spotting and no sign of ovulation.

I have a copper coil and I'm sure I'm not pregnant. I have made a GP appointment to ask for some blood tests but was wondering if it sounds like the start of perimenopause. I should add that I've suffered from bad anxiety for the last couple of years, an on citalopram and I had a period of sweating a lot at night mid cycle. I never put the symptoms all together before but maybe they are linked.

Surely I am a bit too young? I have no idea what age my mum had menopause as she had a full hysterectomy pre meno for fibroids and heavy bleeding

EllenRipley Wed 05-Oct-16 10:46:15

I don't think you're too young for perimenopause, I think by the time you're in your 40s your hormones would start fluctuating (I know mine did) and your cycle change. I'm also on citalopram and recently put my dose back up from 10 to 20mg because my cycle was erratic and had bad pms anxiety and the increased dose has definitely made things go even more haywire - no GP will agree there's a correlation though! It's maybe possible the combo of your age (hormones), citalopram and copper coil are affecting things?

tristerflexu Thu 06-Oct-16 17:42:33

I think you're probably right. I thought I had a few more years before this though

EllenRipley Fri 07-Oct-16 10:32:41

Doesn't mean things won't settle again. I had loads of hormonal blips in early 40s, now at 45 my hormones definitely seem to be in some sort of meltdown (suddenly been diagnosed with cysts and probable endometriosis). If you've got the coil for progesterone issues there could be more 'natural' alternatives you could try; herbs and natural progesterone cream work for some people. Good nutrition is very important too. If you're very concerned or feel it's starting to affect your quality of life, don't be afraid to look into other options. And don't assume it's all hormonally downhill from here! X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now