Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Do I have shingles?

(18 Posts)
mrspodington Mon 03-Oct-16 21:59:21

Hello looking for some advice.
I'm 36 years old and two days ago (Saturday) I started to feel like I had bruised my right side groin/pubic area it is also slightly swollen but with no obvious bruising. It came on quite suddenly and at the time it came about I was just been sitting watching a film with my daughter.
I currently do not have any sort of rash but the area is extremely tender even my underwear and clothing pressing slightly is painful and pressing with my fingers is excruciating. It feels as though I have bumped or banged the area but as far as I am aware I haven't injured myself at all.
I am feeling generally I'll with cold and flu like symptoms and am quite run down due to the usual busy life (work, kids etc) I'm also suffering from a problem with my hips which I am awaiting further tests for which is getting me down due to constant pain.
My mother in law suggested it could be shingles but I don't have a tingling or burning sensation or a rash so I don't want to waste the doctors time if it's nothing.
Any advice greatly recieved thank you.

Shallishanti Mon 03-Oct-16 22:03:03

have you previously had chicken pox?

mrspodington Mon 03-Oct-16 22:03:33

Yes when I was about 5 or 6 years old

chattygranny Mon 03-Oct-16 22:03:51

My DM and my DS both had shingles and it involved a line of painful blisters looking like festering chickenpox or cold sores. It's usually visible along a nerve line, classically the stomach but my DS had it along his wrist and arm. You have to have had chickenpox to get shingles too. Does this fit?

Shallishanti Mon 03-Oct-16 22:05:04

It could be
it is worth going to GP as they have medication that can lessen the seriousness of the shingles, but it has to be taken asap

mrspodington Mon 03-Oct-16 22:08:33

I don't have the rash but having done a quick search on symptoms it says the rash comes around 5 days after the first symptoms of being unwell. Most of the symptoms seems to mention a burning or tingling sensation which I don't have this is definitely more of a bruise type pain. My main concern is that I work with small children so I'm worried I could pass on the virus to them.

Lj8893 Mon 03-Oct-16 22:09:30

Yes it could be. Sometimes it can take a few days for the blisters/rash to appear after the sensation has started. I've had shingles twice and for me, it feels like I've got sunburn and somebody is rubbing sandpaper on it, it's an unmistakable feeling.

Lj8893 Mon 03-Oct-16 22:10:07

You can't pass shingles on but you can pass chickenpox on from shingles.

bruffin Mon 03-Oct-16 22:10:11

I had a small patch of shingles on a buttock (a small round patch of about 10 spots) and also had a painful lump in my groin as one of my lymph nodes was affected.

mrspodington Mon 03-Oct-16 22:11:38

This is my worry the children I work with are 3-5 years old so prime age for chicken pox I would hate to think I have made them I'll but can't just take time off work on a hunch I really do feel quite poorly though

ReallyTired Mon 03-Oct-16 22:12:15

It might be shingles, but sounds like you need to see your GP.

mrspodington Mon 03-Oct-16 22:12:16

Yes that is exactly what it feels like (but without a rash as yet)

mrspodington Mon 03-Oct-16 22:12:53

I think I need to ring my Gp first thing 😞

mrspodington Mon 03-Oct-16 22:14:17

Oh no the more replies I get the more I'm thinking you might be right I just hate using up a doctor app if it's not. Guess I need to make the appointment and get checked out.

Shallishanti Mon 03-Oct-16 22:15:21

for me the first symptoms were an ache, quite bad, that felt like a muscular strain

mrspodington Mon 03-Oct-16 22:15:36

Thank you for all of your help I will make N appointment first thing tomorrow.

Clickncollect Mon 03-Oct-16 22:50:38

Your description sounds exactly like my bout of shingles ten years ago - on the right in the groin/pubic area. The pain got stronger as the days went on to the point I started limping. Then the rash came up across the length of the nerve about 5 days after. As per PP get to doctors asap as there is medication you can take but the sooner the better. I was off work for a month and even then I went back a bit too soon. Best of luck.

Shallishanti Thu 06-Oct-16 18:38:12

how did you get on at GP OP?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now