Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Non-Hormonal Coil

(8 Posts)
SaRaH89S Sat 24-Sep-16 18:05:39

I'm hoping someone can help me.. I had an implant fitted 2 years ago and after 7 months of constant bleeding and feeling miserable, I had it taken out.

It took nearly 12 months for my body to get back to normal so I have not had any hormonal contraception in the meantime. (Back to the old classic condoms). Last month I finally felt ready to trust contraception again however due to a change in BMI and a family history of blood clots, the GP will no longer give me the combined pill and so put me on the mini pill. This was fine until my first period which has yet to stop after 10 days!

After doing some research online, the side effect and hormones for the mini pill and implant seem to be the same so I have stopped taking the mini pill and am hoping that my body will get back to normal again soon.

I am considering getting a coil but have read some similar stories and am wondering if anyone can help shed some light on if this just for the hormonal coil (which seems to be the same hormone again) or if the copper coil still has similar side effects as I don't want to have it put in and face constant bleeding again!

Thanks in advance.

hollinhurst84 Sun 25-Sep-16 01:20:06

Copper (non hormonal) works for me
Periods same as they are normally, a little longer by a day or so and a bit heavier

SaRaH89S Sun 25-Sep-16 08:53:00

Thanks .. any other side effects?

Ebbenmeowgi Sun 25-Sep-16 09:04:49

I had the non hormonal coil and it was the best thing I ever did. Some people don't like it as can make periods heavier/painful apparently but tbh I never had an issue with this. I had no side effects at all, felt a lot more in tune with my body as it was behaving more naturally without hormone influence, and was really straightforward (a little painful - like normal period pain) getting it removed when we were ttc. Will definitely go back to it.

Meadows76 Sun 25-Sep-16 09:06:04

First copper coil I had was ok, second one made me bleed non stop for over a year. Switched to mirena coli, bleeding stopped and have had no problems with it.

SaRaH89S Sun 25-Sep-16 09:54:00

I don't think the merina will work for me as it's the same hormones as the mini pill and implant and they definitely did not work for me .. fingers crossed the copper coil works. I've been told it's best to go to family planning rather than GPs also .. which makes sense as non of the docs at my gps office seem to care at all what effects you may have!

SaRaH89S Sun 25-Sep-16 09:55:39

Thanks, that's really helpful. It's not fun but I can deal with the normal period paid .. I just can't deal with the constant cramps and bleeding again

Meadows76 Sun 25-Sep-16 09:58:39

it's the same hormones as the mini pill and implant. Actually whilst the hormones may be the same they act very differently. The pill and implant send the hormones right through your system whereas with the mirena coil they don't go through your bloodstream but act locally within the womb. Speak to a gynae about it before you discount the idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now