Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Really embarrassing smell after eating fish

(9 Posts)
Thatwaslulu Fri 23-Sep-16 20:06:25

OK I'm typing this with my fingers metaphorically covering my face in embarrassment. I.have noticed recently that after I eat fish, I smell fishy down below. It isn't BV, thrush or anything like that, and it goes after a day or so. But for that period, it smells like the Tesco fish counter! I am obsessively clean and use Femfresh to ensure my ph levels aren'the affected, and it never happens unless I eat seafood. Its noticeable too - my husband quietly mentions it when it happens (in a kind, non judgey way just to alert me.in case I didn't know). Am I a freak?

Not sure if it's relevant but I had bariatric surgery (sleevectomy) 4 years ago and it has only happened since this surgery so I wondered if it was how my digestive system now worked? Anyone else in this situation and do I have to give up the seafood?

sadie9 Fri 23-Sep-16 20:22:19

Think this could be a genetic condition called trimethylaminuria. Or maybe indeed your surgery caused some change in your digestive processes, but maybe someone else knows something about that.
Answer is to avoid the foods that cause it. See the link here www.nhs.uk/conditions/trimethylaminuria/Pages/Introduction.aspx
best of luck with it.

SallyVating Fri 23-Sep-16 21:16:29

I get the same thing. Cod is the worst. I don't know why but yep it is horrendously embarrassing

Thatwaslulu Fri 23-Sep-16 21:21:01

Thanks for the replies! I'm so glad I'm not the only one. I do love fish and I am sad at the thought of giving it up, but it is definitely looking likely.

SallyVating Sat 24-Sep-16 03:06:24

Forgot to add. I've not had bariatric surgery but I have had big chunks of my stomach and intestines removed. Nearly sure I had the same issue before though.

Shurelyshomemistake Sat 24-Sep-16 23:18:18

It's not Trimethylaminuria, OP, that is a serious condition and not sporadic and associated with eating just fish. It's from eating nitrogen-containing compounds more generally - not just fish.

I get this too, OP. Horrible, and have had to stop eating cod pretty much. Prawns, mackerel, etc, fine. Cod, really not fine. What's with the cod?!?!?!

Chewbecca Sun 25-Sep-16 22:42:25

I get this too. Haven't had any stomach issues or surgery. Happens to my mum too. I don't actually know if anyone else can notice it but I certainly can.

Salmon doesn't do it to me so I don't shy away from that but I would tend to avoid cod and prawns if I have something big on the next day.

Thinking about it, I had plaice on Friday but didn't notice anything.

salsiverdi Mon 26-Sep-16 16:34:58

I get this too, I now just avoid fish completely.

Thatwaslulu Mon 26-Sep-16 16:50:52

Yes, cod is the big one, but also prawns and mackerel for me. Haven't noticed it after eating salmon or mussels.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now