Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Hair loss

(15 Posts)
worried1234577 Thu 22-Sep-16 20:18:23

I had a bad itchy scalp and my hair started to fall out,not in clumps,but more than my usual...I've been on the treatment shampoos off the doctors for three weeks now and my scalp is lots better well feels back to normal...yet my hair is still falling out confused I feel so low because of this and daren't even brush my hair.im booked back in with the doctor next week. But could this be it. Am I losing my hair for good? Anyone had any similar experiences? Thank you for reading

braceybracegirl Thu 22-Sep-16 20:20:20

Have a blood test. It could be low iron or low b12. I had the same and had to have iron tablets and b12 injections. Hair hasn't improved yet but apparently can take months.

worried1234577 Thu 22-Sep-16 20:22:39

Did you have a bald scalp at first? Is your hair loss noticeable or just making you conscious like me xx I will ask the doctor for a blood test. It's not the end of the world but it is to me as a girls hair means everything to a woman xx

worried1234577 Thu 22-Sep-16 20:22:49

*bad

worried1234577 Thu 22-Sep-16 20:24:22

Has that treatment made your hair stop falling out xx

Anothernamechanger1 Thu 22-Sep-16 20:26:42

Hi worried, I had a thread a few weeks back. Lots of supportive posters. I am very stressed and a lot was going on, had blood tests and showed my ferritin levels were lower than what we need to produce new hair (70) so Iv really ramped up the iron, taking the fereglobin, my diet and started taking ferosine which is specifically for hair loss. I have also been using regaine for women each night and Nioxin shampoo. I now have new spikey little hairs growing through and it's only been 2 months! I thought it wouldn't stop and that I would have bald patches but I'm pleased with the results so far although I know I have a way to go yet to be back where I was.

Have a look at any of those ideas? Worse thin you can do is stress too much about it as that will make it worse!

worried1234577 Thu 22-Sep-16 20:29:36

These past couple of days I've been taking iron tablets that I brought over the counter I'm thinking maybe I should stop taking them for the blood test to see if my iron level is low. Glad yours is growing back tho it's a big stress xx

worried1234577 Thu 22-Sep-16 20:41:49

These past couple of days I've been taking iron tablets that I brought over the counter I'm thinking maybe I should stop taking them for the blood test to see if my iron level is low. Glad yours is growing back tho it's a big stress xx

TroysMammy Thu 22-Sep-16 20:49:05

Do you take prescibed meds or anything otc?

I take an anti histamine to help me sleep as I'm having disturbed sleep because of peri menopause and read they could cause hair thinning/loss as a rare side effect. I'm now convinced my long hair is feeling wispy and I see more all over the place. I only brush it once a day so the shedded hair could be normal.

braceybracegirl Thu 22-Sep-16 20:56:32

Worried - is the regained good? I've got some but not used it yet!

braceybracegirl Thu 22-Sep-16 20:57:09

Sorry that question was for anothernamechanger

worried1234577 Thu 22-Sep-16 20:57:59

No I take nothing I am healthy apart from this...thank you for all your replies you lovely lot xx

Anothernamechanger1 Thu 22-Sep-16 21:17:57

Yes I think it's definitely that, that has made it grow as quick, they say to give it a few months but Iv used it just under 2 months and I can now feel the new hair sticking up. Bit of a faff to get it on, I do it at night and you have to section your hair to make sure you get it onto the scalp. It dries quickly though. Today I had my colour done and that has helped, the lowlites have picked up the new hair. Also Iv used the hair fibres from Amazon? Don't know if you've seen them? It's a sort of coloured powder you shake on? That has helped disguise my scalp showing through on my crown.

braceybracegirl Thu 22-Sep-16 21:29:30

Thank you I will try it. I was nervous to use it as it said that initially it could cause more hair loss.

Anothernamechanger1 Fri 23-Sep-16 10:02:22

Braces I don't feel it made it worse to be honest, I think about the 6 week mark it mentioned possibly seem if slightly worse (some thing to do with the hair cycle or something? I'm not sure) I didn't notice it getting worse due to the regaine at all. If you have it, try. I'm so glad I did, I'm coming to the end of my 2 month supply and will be purchasing more and continuing for at least 6 months I think. I would recommend using it at night as when it dries it leaves a slight white sort of powder stuff (could look like dandruff) but I wash it every morning and it washes fine.

Yesterday my hair dresser talked me into chopping off about 3 inches (my hair is down to bra strap level at the back) I didn't want to but I'm so glad she did, looks fuller as the length isn't pulling it down, feels better and looks better. She also said when we have a larger than normal amount cut off the hair tends to hair a sudden growth spurt also.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now