Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Motion sickness

(31 Posts)
MalcolmTuckersEyebrows Mon 19-Sep-16 17:38:45

I have recently had to start taking the bus to work half of the week, and I am getting travel sick. The nausea takes its time to wear off after my journey in to work and back home again. I'm arriving at the park and ride in the afternoon wondering if Im going to throw up and am worried that one day I am actually going to throw up on the bus.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I can't have my work lanyard around my neck at all and have previously found when taking the bus that I have to remove a scarf and undo my coat so it's no where near my throat, but now I'm taking the bus twice a week it's a big problem where before it was an occasional issue.

allthekingsshoes Mon 19-Sep-16 17:39:45

Sickness bands? They work for me

Watto1 Mon 19-Sep-16 17:44:55

I suffer on buses too. You have my sympathy. I find that sitting on the seat that is higher than the one in front helps. The one towards the back up a step if you get me!? Either there or the very front seat on the top deck. Obviously this depends on how busy your bus is. I also find that I'm much worse if I am hungry. Something savoury like a bag of crisps helps.

Have you tried the travel bands? They don't work for me but loads of people swear by them.

MalcolmTuckersEyebrows Mon 19-Sep-16 18:12:01

I tried travel bands when I was a child - I had awful travel sickness and they made no difference.

I will try the front of the top deck. I thought it might be worse but it's worth a try. The smell of other people's BO/perfume/garlic breath does not help envy and if I'm trapped next to them usually open a window for a blast of fresh air which does help. Being slightly hungry doesn't help, you're right, but tbh I'm not really hungry enough to want to eat at 4pm and would feel like I'm eating a bag of crisps for the hell of it which is what got me to being 2 stone overweight in the first place.

NickyEds Mon 19-Sep-16 18:18:24

I have some amazing travel sickness pills- I'll look up the name for you. I got them on prescription as I suffer from terrible travel sickness. Do you drive at all? The doctor said that repeated short journeys is the only thing she's known to overcome it and that seems to be true- my travel sickness was much better when I was at school and took a 45 minutes bus journey then got much worse over a period when I worked from home. You might find that you get used to it and it stops being a problem over time- crap in the short term though.

MalcolmTuckersEyebrows Mon 19-Sep-16 18:40:09

I do drive, back and forth to work half the week and back and forth to the park and ride the rest of the week. I don't get travel sickness when I drive.

MalcolmTuckersEyebrows Tue 20-Sep-16 20:04:51

NickyEds did you remember the name of those travel sickness pills?

CwtchMeQuick Tue 20-Sep-16 20:19:48

I'd ask the doctor to prescribe you something. I also find that eating something like a few crackers once I stop moving helps settle the nausea faster than not eating. Try not to let yourself get too warm and sip ice cold water if you can. Always keep a carrier bag on you as I find I'm much worse if I feel sick and I'm worried about throwing up down myself. You have my sympathies, travel sickness is awful.

CwtchMeQuick Tue 20-Sep-16 20:39:10

Another thing I've just thought of is sucking a strong mint or chewing an extra ice chewing gum, seems to help ward of nausea

Watto1 Tue 20-Sep-16 21:02:12

Stugeron tablets work well for me but I'm not sure if they should be taken on a daily basis? Maybe a pharmacist could advise?

JudgeEpantz Tue 20-Sep-16 21:07:25

Retry the wrist bands- I get nauseous on the bus.

turtlesallthewaydown Tue 20-Sep-16 21:08:40

Also try sitting in the middle of the bus. You'll experience less up and down movement than at the front or back.
You have my sympathy, it's horrible.

NickyEds Tue 20-Sep-16 21:28:59

They are called Cinnarizine. I think they are the same active drug as some over the counter stuff but a higher dose so needed a prescription. Not sure if you can take them every day so you'd have to ask your gp but I've found them to be excellent. I had Metoclopamide before that as I was breast feeding and they weren't as good. I get really travel sick, I have been known to throw up after a 15 minute car journey, it's awful and you have my sympathies sad. My gp was really understanding-I was worried that she would think it's trivial.

MalcolmTuckersEyebrows Tue 20-Sep-16 22:02:30

Thank you everyone. I will have a chat with a pharmacist I think and see what I can try over the counter before speaking to the gp. I will also try some mints, I don't know why I hadn't thought of that before!

NickyEds Tue 20-Sep-16 22:09:01

I also find headphones with music on help with it op.

LivingInMidnight Wed 21-Sep-16 17:56:27

I have to have an open window or I get really close to throwing up. It really annoys some passengers though. Don't read and try looking out of the window.

I have smelling salts in my pocket all the time. I don't know how well they work but it makes me feel better knowing I have them. Also agree about mints and music.

Saying that though I can get motion sickness from looking at vertical blinds or shelves or a variety of things that form a pattern confused. So there might be something else going on there.

EstelleRoberts Wed 21-Sep-16 17:58:21

The wrist bands should work but only if you put them in the right place. Most people site them too high. If you press the area between the two tendons the right spot should feel tender.

MalcolmTuckersEyebrows Wed 21-Sep-16 21:38:24

Living - I'm going with the theory that an open window is better than having someone chuck up by your feet.

I can't even glance at my phone without feeling sick so music may be tricky but I will give it a go.

I struggle having anything too tight on my wrists (or any other bit of me) and wear my watch fairly loose so would rather try other techniques.

I got some Kwells at the pharmacy today - the type that melt in the mouth. The pharmacist thought everything else would either need to be taken too far in advance or would make me really drowsy.

I'm going to see how I get on with a combination of sitting at the top and front of the bus, sucking on a mint and having taken a Kwells before setting off.

Watto1 Thu 22-Sep-16 17:28:14

How did you get on Malcolm?

Ememem84 Thu 22-Sep-16 17:31:13

Try ginger too.

And make sure you sit on the right side (the drivers side). I suffer if I sit on the other side in cars etc - something to do with being able to see what the driver sees....

I sympathise travel sickness is awful sad

MalcolmTuckersEyebrows Thu 22-Sep-16 19:17:26

Bus day is tomorrow. I will report back smile

MalcolmTuckersEyebrows Fri 23-Sep-16 18:52:21

I took one of the quick working motion sickness tablets about 40 minutes before getting the bus. Using the bus to get to work involves two legs. For the first leg I sat downstairs and sucked a mint. If I hadn't had the mint it would have been worse as someone near me stank of cigarettes, but the mint gave me something to focus on. On the second leg I sat upstairs at the front and although I initially had reservations it was much better, although boiling hot with the sun coming in. I realised that one of the problems is my brain not understanding the jerks of the bus as it brakes and accelerates, and simar journeys where I haven't been able to see out of the front so well are the ones when I felt the worst.

It isn't a perfect system though as on my journey in this morning those seats were taken, as was the one nearest the driver next to the entrance, so I sat in the middle at the back.

I think there may be a slightly psychological issue too in that now I've come to dread the journey making me feel sick, I expect it to, then think about it and then inevitably feel sick hmm

So, next week more Kwells, sit as close to the front as I can and take mint imperials with me. The only problem is that the Kwells have sent me a bit in to la la land!

Branleuse Fri 23-Sep-16 18:59:49

try just taking a generic antihistamine, such as cetirizine or loratidine - just the cheap ones you can get in poundland or anywhere. I find they work really well for travel sickness. You dont need to buy the expensive travel sickness pills

Branleuse Fri 23-Sep-16 19:00:59

and those antihistamines are non-drowsy so shouldnt send you to lala land like kwells or stugeron can

Watto1 Fri 23-Sep-16 21:52:27

Glad there was some improvement! I've suffered for years and it's not funny.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now