Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Scared - blood in urine

(20 Posts)
Florabella Mon 19-Sep-16 15:22:34

Feeling very scared. I have had blood in urine on and off for 2 weeks. Went to gp and he gave me antibiotics for uti, but it came back and next doctor didn't think it was infection as no other symptoms. She has given me an urgent referral to test for bladder cancer and I am now sitting fearing the worst. Can anyone give me any positive stories about blood in urine with no other symptoms?

lemonzest123 Mon 19-Sep-16 15:25:09

Have you got a burning pain? Every time I get cystitis I bleed. Looks scary but its quite simple to clear.

Florabella Mon 19-Sep-16 16:11:03

No, it's definitely not cystitis. No other symptoms at all and go seems quite concerned

loz12345 Mon 19-Sep-16 19:02:20

I had this at the start of the year GP's tested urine monthly for 3 months and found blood each time, no infection or anything. I was referred to have the camera in my bladder ( sorry can't remember the proper name ) it took about 20 mins, and you can watch it all, it's a bit odd as they fill your bladder with water and they can tell you the results there and then. I had no reason found for it and apparently that is the same for the majority of people I'm about 5 months down the line and it seems to have resolved itself.

Good luck and flowers waiting is the worst x

MidMay Mon 19-Sep-16 19:07:11

Sending flowers OP

DH had this too and it was the worst case scenario. However he had surgery within 2 weeks of the cystoscopy and five years down the line (after being rechecked very regularly) he remains clear, so a positive outcome.

Tanfastic Mon 19-Sep-16 19:46:01

Op, I'm going through something very similar at the minute (see my post further down in health). I am seeing a private urologist tomorrow because my symptoms do not qualify for the two week pathway (and I'm going out of my mind with worry).

There isn't much I don't know about bladder cancer having spent the past few months googling (stupid I know). You haven't said if your blood is microscopic (you can't see it in your wee) or if it's what they call gross haematuria (your pee is red, orange or pink).

How old are you? Do you smoke, have you worked with chemicals and is it gross or microscopic blood you have?

Florabella Mon 19-Sep-16 22:11:16

Thanks for the replies. My wee was pink, although went away for a few days, then came back and has gone again for the last 2 days. I'm 44, non smoker and never worked with chemicals.

Tanfastic Mon 19-Sep-16 23:13:26

It's very unlikely to be bladder cancer then. My GP told me the red flags for that would be smoking, over 60 and having a history of working with chemicals. It's also more common in men. It's very rare in someone your age with no history of smoking.

It's much more likely to have a benign cause like a kidney stone.

MidMay Mon 19-Sep-16 23:24:47

DH had no risk factors at all, as healthy as you can be, and late 30's. Had haematuria in his urine intermittently on several occasions before telling me and then seeing GP. Caught early, there's every reason to be optimistic (if it is the worst case scenario which it won't necessarily be) as treatment is effective these days at preventing any reoccurrence. Your GP has done the right thing to refer you quickly OP.

Tanfastic Tue 20-Sep-16 13:21:19

I've been to see urologist today privately and I thought I'd share with you what he said and give someone else the benefit of the £200 fee I paid!

He said microscopic blood in urine is nearly always in a non smoking female in her forties (me) who hasn't worked with chemicals nothing to worry about. About a 1% chance of it being anything significant. In someone with gross haematuria about 1 in 6 he said.

Anyhow I've got to have a scan and a camera in my bladder just to check.

Florabella Wed 21-Sep-16 16:25:58

Thanks Tanfastic, although looking at the definition of gross haematuria that is the category I fall into. I guess that's why I am on the urgent 2 week appointment.

I spoke my brother in law last night who is a consultant radiologist. He said very similar, that they were right to urgently refer me, but that the chances of cancer were tiny. He said that he sees lots of scans in this area and they are very rarely serious. He said that quite often there just isn't an obvious cause (and mentioned something about doctors explaining it like a nose bleed in the bladder - no obvious cause). I still feel stressed, although slightly less so. I'm trying to stay away from google, but my partner is terrible and always thinking the worst!!

Tanfastic Wed 21-Sep-16 21:54:38

I'm sure it will be fine op, I'll hold your hand if you hold mine!

Florabella Wed 21-Sep-16 21:56:18

You've got a deal Tanfastic

theothersideoftheworld Wed 21-Sep-16 22:07:33

I'm on antibiotics for blood in my urine. Only found on a urine dipstick during a new patient health screen. Now I'm worried too! I've had some right low sided pain too so I've convinced myself I have something nasty 😔

Tanfastic Wed 21-Sep-16 22:10:56

Seems to be very common judging by the responses. Keep
Us updated Flora, when you get your appt etc.

Florabella Thu 22-Sep-16 12:17:30

Hello, Theotherside, hope that it turns out to be nothing.

Well, I'm impressed with the speed. I saw my gp on Dri afternoon and I have just had my appointment booked for this Monday. Feel relived that things are moving anyway.

Tanfastic, we might be having our tests around the same time

Tanfastic Thu 22-Sep-16 15:38:49

Hi Flora, what is your appt for next week? Is it to see a urologist or actually for a scan/cystoscopy?

I expect you will get your tests before me as you've been fast tracked whereas I was seen quickly for the initial consultation (because I paid) but I'm now on the NHS waiting list for the tests which could be a few weeks he said.

Florabella Thu 22-Sep-16 16:06:26

It's the initial appointment with the urologist on Monday. I'm hoping that it will be quick after that. My brother in law said that in their hospital with a fast track the scan should probably be about a week later and the cystoscopy a week after that, but I'll need to wait and see what happens on Monday. I wish I lived nearer him as he could get his colleagues to squeeze me in for ultrasound and ct scan immediately!

Tanfastic Thu 22-Sep-16 16:57:17

The waiting is the worst bit isn't it. Let me know what the urologist says - we can compare notes grin

ThisUsernameIsAvailab1e Thu 22-Sep-16 19:13:38

Yes I had all of this and was referred.

It turned out to be something I'd never considered and which ended up being absolutely agony but treatable 0. And that was a kidney stone

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now