Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Breast indent, freaking out

(14 Posts)
ThroughThickAndThin01 Mon 19-Sep-16 13:57:26

I had a routine mammogram beginning of last week and had a letter for a recall giving me an appointment for further tests this Friday. Really freaked out then sad. Prodded, poked and felt my breasts all weekend and couldn't find anything.

But this morning I raised my arms and looking in the mirror can see a very small indent on the side of my right breast following the curve of my breast to my armpit, but lower side of the breast. So, so worried sad. I

All googling leads me to cancer. Is it inevitable sad. Can someone give me any hope?? I feel sick.

helzapoppin2 Mon 19-Sep-16 21:29:24

Okay, it could be nothing, so try not to panic!
It's not inevitably cancer, but you will only know by having further tests.
There are many other things it could be.
Take things one step at a time. Having tests is traumatic. You could take your partner or a friend with you.
Even if, heaven forbid, it is, the treatment is wonderful these days.
I had a small early stage lump found and treated eight years ago, and I'm actually really grateful it was discovered and something was done about it!
I hope that helps and doesn't put the wind up you. I'm a bit crap about words of comfort, but I know it's a worrying time. Friends and wine help!

ThroughThickAndThin01 Mon 19-Sep-16 21:44:42

Thank you helza I'm such a bloody mess, your lovely words of encouragement have even set me off.

I just cant find anything positive said about breast dents! I've made myself thoroughly miserable, if it's possible to be more miserable than earlier, reading breast cancer blogs. gah.

DH is coming with me. But he's so stressed about other stuff I'd like to protect him from it really. What a mess. I just can't make myself upbeat about it.y

I'm pleased yours is all sorted, must have been difficult at the time.

Flufflepuff Mon 19-Sep-16 21:46:50

I thought breasts can have small sort of indents occasionally can't they? Is it definitely a new thing or has it always been there and you haven't noticed?

Mammograms do have quite a high rate of "questionable" results, and lots of women are called in for what turn out to be unnecessary follow up tests - they're trying to come up with new ways to do them because of this.

Just had a quick google myself and one of the top results from "breast indents" says that:

"Fibrous tissue can also cause indentation by damaging or engulfing the ligaments of cooper in the breast which attach the underlying tissue of the breast to the overlying skin. This can be due to ageing, breast feeding, excessive stress or pull on the breast such as during an activity like sports or running, obesity etc."

... so there is a genuine chance it's nothing bad at all. At least they're looking to make sure!

I'd suggest lots of brew or wine and take it easy on yourself till the new test results.

Flufflepuff Mon 19-Sep-16 21:49:04

(Sorry if that info's bullshit by the way, but I don't think every indent necessarily equals cancer - there are a few people out there who have similar symptoms but negative tests!)

ThroughThickAndThin01 Mon 19-Sep-16 21:52:23

Fluffle I'm not sure how long it's been there. I was prodding, poking, scrutinising, over the weekend and today and lifted my arms up and could see it then. When I lower my arm it disappears.

Your finding has cheered me up <for about a nano second grin> because I am aging, - just about through the menopause, and I have taken up running about a year ago so possibly the exercise thing.

I don't have a good feeling about it though.

whirlywhale Mon 19-Sep-16 22:00:38

Hi

Try and stay away from dr google he is not a good source of factual info and will invariably make you think you have the worst case scenario every time!

Being recalled for more tests is shit and makes you worry so much as they put very little info in the recall letter.

I have been going for tests since I was 25 (high family history) and have been recalled a few times for an ultrasound to clarify.

Have to say I did get breast cancer, which was spotted in my annual checkup last year. Finished treatment in Feb this year.

If it's something then it's been found quickly and can be dealt with. Try not to prod too much, keep yourself busy this week.

Good luck, if you need some hand holding the Lacies ladies (see their thread in general health) are a lovely bunch xx

WillWorkForShoes Mon 19-Sep-16 22:01:09

Breathe. It is probably nothing. There are non-cancerous things that can show on a mammogram (micro calcifications, for example) that need to be checked out but turn out to be fine. You're probably hyper aware right now and noticing every little thing, but you are being checked out and that is the main thing. Be brave. :-)

ThroughThickAndThin01 Mon 19-Sep-16 22:06:54

Thanks everyone. It appears I'm not very good at being brave <wibble>. I've never been so scared in my life. I'm desperate for Friday to come but desperate for it not to.

WillWorkForShoes Mon 19-Sep-16 22:08:25

Definition of brave: being scared and doing it anyway. flowers

ThroughThickAndThin01 Fri 23-Sep-16 15:16:04

Christ alive, what a bloody horrible week of anxiety. Never known anything like it. But just to update and in case anyone comes to this thread googling breast dent or mammogram recall etc, my story is very positive.

Fantastic, fantastic NHS. In X-rayed, examined and ultrasounded and out in little over an hour. Lovely people, about 5 saw me in total. Dent is on right breast, and noticed a second one there as well, went into mammogram and told "it's your left breast we need to look at" confused.

Anyway the consultant ultra sounded left breast, all fine, and checked the dents and ultra sounded that area, all fine.

Apparently the dents are causes by wearing underwired bras!

The lovely consultant said you should worry about a mammogram recall for about 15 seconds then forget about it, as anything untoward is rarely found.

Thank you to everyone on this thread for (trying to) calm me down. You were all right.

NicknameUsed Fri 23-Sep-16 15:22:20

Fantastic outcome.

Have a great weekend

flufflepuff Fri 23-Sep-16 15:24:20

Hurrah! So glad to hear that grin have a lovely relaxing weekend wine

helzapoppin2 Fri 23-Sep-16 22:16:38

Phew! Congratulations. Great news!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now