Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Should I book an 'urgent' doctors appointment to get rid of my IUD?

(8 Posts)
ConnieJSmith Mon 19-Sep-16 09:45:21

Hello!
I had the implant fitted in my arm way back in May. Since then I've had constant bleeding (sort of like the last day of my period) every single day. I went back to my doctors after a month, but was told to 'stick at it' for 6 months as it could settle down, and I can't go back on the pill because of side effects. I've just moved to a new area and I'm completely at the end of my tether with the constant bleeding. I'm lightheaded, lack energy, and poor DH is also getting frustrated!

I registered at my new doctors and after two weeks finally got the call saying I'm a fully registered patient. I asked to book an appointment, and said it wasn't urgent as I don't really know if it is? But I've been given an appointment for a month's time! And I know that the most they'll do in this appointment is take out the implant, and I'll have to book yet another one to get a coil or other option fitted.

I've tried calling up the local sexual health clinic, but due to my age they say I need to be referred for an appointment with them by my gp.

So, should I book an 'urgent' appointment? Or accept that I'm going to be on my period for at least another month?

Thanks!

BagelDog Mon 19-Sep-16 09:49:20

Removing implants is usually done as a minor procedure, so a longer slot in the treatment room, so can't be done in the urgent appointments which are usual length and just in a consulting room. Often have to book with the GP who does them not just whoever is on. Ask reception and they should know which slot to book? If you want to talk to someone first before just getting it out then could try asking for a phone call? Depends on practice policy but worth asking x

ConnieJSmith Mon 19-Sep-16 09:49:52

Edit: I have an implant in my arm, not IUD. Oops!

PovertyPain Mon 19-Sep-16 09:50:33

If it hasn't been 'urgent' up to now, then what's changed? Urgent appointments are for those that have serious need, such as, very small children that are extremely ill, those with serious increase in pain due to having chronic conditions/cancer, etc. Do you feel your discomfort puts you on a par with them?

BagelDog Mon 19-Sep-16 09:53:02

Oh and against depends on practice, but coil insertion only done by some of the docs, in some slots in the treatment room. And may need to take swabs and get the results back first. So definitely worth a phone call or normal appointment first. Or have that chat in an urgent appointment as bleeding daily since May is clearly not ok...

ConnieJSmith Mon 19-Sep-16 09:55:02

I obviously don't feel that my discomfort is the same as theirs. If I could book an appointment directly with a sexual health clinic I would! Its been more urgent for the past few weeks as I've started to feel faint more or less constantly. Its only from today that I've even been able to book an appointment.

ConnieJSmith Mon 19-Sep-16 09:55:50

Thanks @bageldog, might call and ask if I can get a telephone appointment quicker and get a referral that way.

BagelDog Mon 19-Sep-16 10:10:18

If you are feeling faint all the time then I actually would take the urgent appointment to check you are not anaemic... and no one will mind seeing someone bleeding since May who now feels faint as an urgent. I have seen plenty of colds, headaches, fungal toe nails, large spots and slightly sore joints in urgent slots (I am not a GP but rotated through it many years ago...) and if not then a phone call that means you get seen in the right slot by someone who can actually sort things is defo not time wasted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now