Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Mirena Coil

(11 Posts)
CeeGeexx Sat 17-Sep-16 00:27:31

Hi,

I was looking for personal experiences here as I'm worried I've made a mistake. I recently got the mirena coil fitted after the doctor selling it to me over the copper coil. Feel instant regret after reading about them on this from other peoples posts.
I had previously been on the mini pill which absolutely did not agree with me... Bleeding every day, migraines every day & my mood swings were horrendous & I generally just felt rotten. I'm a few days in to this mirena coil & the migraines have returned along with the mood swings!

Was wondering if anyone else experienced this but then felt it settled down or is this generally going to be how I feel now? As I'm reading if the mini pill didn't agree with you then the mirena won't which I definitely was not told by my doctor.

Thanks in advance x

Toomuchnoise97 Sat 17-Sep-16 01:31:40

Hi

Give it time. It's still very early days.

Some women find it a life saver and love it, some hate it.

It didn't work for me and I had it removed after four months. I decided to give it three months to settle in and then see how I felt.

Give it a bit longer and see how you feel ?

CeeGeexx Sat 17-Sep-16 08:18:45

I've read it can take 6 months to settle down, seems like a long time but I'll wait it out & see how it goes.

Fingers crossed x

cauliflowercheese14 Sat 17-Sep-16 11:27:13

I gave it 7 months before giving up. I had depression, spots, weight gain, spotting all from day 1 and it just did not stop. I'd give it a few weeks but no longer.

PaperdollCartoon Sat 17-Sep-16 11:35:43

I've had mine about 2.5 months, I was on Loestrin 20 for about 10 years until last December, then using condoms since then. I only came off that pill due to slightly high blood pressure pushing me into a risk group.

So far it's been fine. Slightly odd bleeding at the start but has already settled down into a roughly 4 day period with a bit of spotting either side (I'm tracking any bleeding) had a spotty skin flare after a few weeks but it's already died down. My weight has stayed the same. I've felt a bit more PMT-y around my period than I usually would I think, but apart from that feel fine. I feel the occasional odd cramping where I would think my ovaries are, but not actually painful. So far feeling very happy with it.

I think with this sort of thing people are much more likely to mention when they've had a bad experience than a good one, which can skew your impressions of it. I asked about it here when considering it myself and heard from lots of people who were really happy with it, as well as a few who weren't. I think this will be the case with any contraceptive. Try not to worry and give it time to adjust.

zgaze Sat 17-Sep-16 11:39:34

I gave it just under a year, hated every day of it. Thick dark brown discharge every day, weight gain with abdominal bloating that actually made me feel heavy pregnant with the pressure under my ribs, and a terrible feeling of can't be botheredness which is not at all like me and I found impossible to shake. I hated it. BUT - plenty of my friends have it and the it's the best thing ever, it's just down to how your body suits it. I haven't got on with any hormonal contraception so should I have expected it really!

CeeGeexx Sat 17-Sep-16 12:36:48

Thanks everyone!

For the ones that did get it removed... Were your GP's very reluctant to get it taken out? As I'm reading quite a lot that people are often told that the side effects will settle & the hormones are only localised to your womb (although the hormones have been found in breast milk) so it can't possibly be the mirena causing any of these symptoms.

I'm quite annoyed because none of these side effects were mentioned to me by my GP or the clinic that fitted it. I felt like they were both trying to hard sell it to me over the copper coil, not sure why that is. Maybe they work on commission hmm lol

MyBeloved Sun 18-Sep-16 09:28:36

I've had mine for 6 weeks. Not overly happy at the moment as I'm still bleeding every single day and have had a few bouts of thrush. However, it has all but eradicated my endometriosis cramps which were daily and debilitating. At my 6 week coil check I was advised to give it 3 months- as did my consultant - to let things settle down. Unfortunately for me the next step is hysterectomy so I am hoping mine settles.

Good luck.

AngelsWithSilverWings Sun 18-Sep-16 09:42:39

I'm on my third mirena and it has been fantastic in dealing with the problems I had before ( heavy bleeding and pain caused by endometriosis)

The only thing it didn't deal with was mood swings and anxiety - I think it made them worse! - but I've found that taking starflower oil has really helped that side of things.

luckylavender Sun 18-Sep-16 17:41:58

I love mine, best thing I ever did

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Sun 18-Sep-16 17:58:47

Mine took a few months to settle but once it had it turned out to be brilliant, I'm on my second now and have had nothing more than occasional spotting for years. No side effects.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now