Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Desogestrel - any other contraceptive substitutes?

(3 Posts)
bangingmyheadoffabrickwall Sun 11-Sep-16 21:29:20

I have been taking a seemingly non brand mini pill called 'desogestrel' for about a year. But since then the side effects are worsening and I am at a stage where I can take no more!

I am off to see the GP but am wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences to me and have successfully changed brands with less symptoms.

My symptoms are:
* hair loss. Could be due to post pregnancy but I am 18 months down the line from this.
* weight gain
*acne/greasy skin
* loss of libido
* depressive/angry mood swings.

The latter is the one that most concerns me followed by greasy/acne prone skin. I feel like I am back in my teen years again. But on a serious note, my mood swings are simply awful. Only yesterday a friend asked if I was alright and I almost burst into tears JUST because I was sick of tidying up normal, kid mess in the family room!

I am really not coping with my mood swings. My DH is taking the brunt of it.

I have become pill free the past two days. I haven't told him yet but when the 'time' comes I will be insisting on protection as we have no plans or desire to extend our family.

He won't go for a vasectomy and I am not 100% convinced I want to be sterilised either due to being fed up of procedures and operations etc.

I would be grateful if anyone could give me some advice as to what pill they moved onto after desogestrel which gave them less side effects.

Oh, and not interested at all in the coil, injection or implants.

dementedpixie Sun 11-Sep-16 21:33:35

There are other mini pills with different hormones you could try. Are you not able to use the combined pill?

bangingmyheadoffabrickwall Sun 11-Sep-16 21:42:16

No, which is a shame as I was on Microgynon until only last year; a good 19 years with just a break for conceiving my children and a couple of months when I was put on cerazette because I complained of leg pain. But after my second child's birth I insisted I went on microgynon but for some reason (I cannot remember why) the GP changed it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now