Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any earxperts around?

(34 Posts)
PotOfYoghurt Sun 11-Sep-16 09:34:09

Like my joke?

I've had a middle ear infection for a week. Started amoxicillin on Wednesday night. Still got progressively worse- hearing loss, pus, fullness and pain all down neck and in front and behind ear. Friday night went to walk in, given double the dose of amoxicillin and told to go to a particular hospital that's close to me (which has a walk in) as they have a special ENT department if it gets worse again.

It hasn't improved at all since Friday, during the night it's been so bad that it wakes me up and I'm up for several hours crying and getting to the point where your pain-addled Brian considers doing something irrational and stupid like sticking a knitting needle in your ear just to get some relief from the pressure. The pressure is relentless.

This morning I've woken up and my ear seems to have swollen nearly completely shut. More pus managed to get out during the night though so it can't be completely closed.

I'm alternating paracetamol and nurofen + codeine for the pain, although the codeine doesn't seem to be doing anything and it feels like I'm just taking normal nurofen confused

Anyway, if anybody has any experience in this department would you recommend waiting to see if there's an improvement by tonight (when it would have been 48 hours since starting stronger a.bs) or go to the walk in clinic at the hospital today?

PotOfYoghurt Sun 11-Sep-16 09:44:35

Also feel so bad for children when they get ear infections now!

DoreenLethal Sun 11-Sep-16 09:47:29

My area of expertise consists of just using a clove of garlic to clear up any of mine [works every time for me] so I'd recommend going to a clinic today to be honest.

SecretSpy Sun 11-Sep-16 09:47:59

I'd go to the walk in, it sounds like it could be cellulitis or similar but def no longer a routine minor infection.

It's normal to not be 'better' yet but it's still getting worse. So yes, you're not being daft to go.

SecretSpy Sun 11-Sep-16 09:49:20

There's only a tiny bit of codeine in those, probably enough to give you the constipation side effects without much extra analgesic effect.

PotOfYoghurt Sun 11-Sep-16 09:54:49

Somewhat fortunately the antibiotics have given my diarrhoea so it seems to be balancing each other out in the bowel department.

I just feel like a twat for going to a walk in at a hospital because it's done in the same place as A&E, and turning up there being asked what's wrong and saying 'oh... Earache eh?' just sounds ridiculous.

I just want some sort of improvement before work tomorrow. Or at least something for the pain that works.

PotOfYoghurt Sun 11-Sep-16 09:55:34

Doreen my neighbour told me to try garlic, but she didn't say what to do with it. Do you eat it? Rub it on the ear?

PikachuSayBoo Sun 11-Sep-16 10:02:37

When I had pain i fron and behind my ear the infection had spread and I got mastoiditis. Which can be very serious. The walk in centre did a direct referral to hospital and I was supposed to be admitted for IV antibiotics. I would get seen today.

PotOfYoghurt Sun 11-Sep-16 10:05:36

Oh that doesn't sound great! Were there any other symptoms of it? Did you end up needing to be admitted?

Footle Sun 11-Sep-16 10:08:00

Mastoid infection is what I think too. Not something to just put up with. If the antibiotic isn't helping, you need urgent help. Hearing is precious.

Haggisfish Sun 11-Sep-16 10:08:59

In your op doesn't it say you were told to go back to specific ent walk in if it got worse. Which it has. So go back to ent walk in!

Iliketeaagain Sun 11-Sep-16 10:13:45

Go to the walk in today - I had horrific ear infections when I was pregnant and I would have gladly chopped my ear off at times.
At one point I thought I had a mild stroke as I couldn't feel that said of my face..
I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

At worst, they will be able to prescribe you stronger pain killers and need to admit you for IV antibiotics.
At best they will be able to change your antibiotics if appropriate and may be able to take a swab of the pus for cultures to check you are on the right meds (results take a few days) and hopefully they will kick in more quickly.

PotOfYoghurt Sun 11-Sep-16 10:14:31

Haggis you're right of course, I just wasn't sure whether to give it more time for the antibiotics to start working. I'm getting myself ready to go! My pus-filled ear and I thank you all.

Haggisfish Sun 11-Sep-16 10:15:08

Hope they can help-ear ache is horrendous.

PotOfYoghurt Sun 11-Sep-16 10:48:04

Ilike that sounds awful, were you even able to take painkillers and antibiotics while pregnant?

I'm here and sat in the waiting room. The receptionist just started nodding as soon as I said 'ear infection' and 'other hospital's name'. They must get this a lot!

Told me to listen for my name. Yeah, right. We'll see how that goes!

Somebody is eating McDonald's hot cakes. It's overpowering.

PikachuSayBoo Sun 11-Sep-16 10:52:07

I'm very naughty and didn't go to the hospital. I spoke to the ent sho on the phone who said he wanted to see me. I said I didn't have time as was going on holiday the next morning (Id attended walk in worried Id perforated my eardrum).

I have a lot of oral antibiotics for a chronic uti and am on a medical trial where I self medicate and can take much higher doses of antibiotics than normal guidelines state if my uti is bad. I literally have 3 carrier bags of tablets in my bedroom. After talking about what antibiotics he would want me on if he saw me I decided I could sort myself out from my home stash but I promised to seek help if it got worse.

notapizzaeater Sun 11-Sep-16 10:56:43

Hope they can sort out your ear - I was told to take antihistamines with an ear infection - reduces the fluid

PotOfYoghurt Sun 11-Sep-16 11:51:49

I'm glad I came now, my ear and cheek are starting to go red and hot. I've potentially got another three hours to go before being treated according to the little electronic sign. Any ideas on how to pass the time/distract myself from pain would be great.

DoreenLethal Sun 11-Sep-16 12:35:08

Can you pass out with the pain - it will get you seen to sooner?
alternatively...
Any games on your phone?

Haggisfish Sun 11-Sep-16 12:52:36

Have you been triaged ie seen by someone to assess your urgency? If not I would go and ask if that's possible.

PotOfYoghurt Sun 11-Sep-16 13:01:19

Just been seen, can't believe it was so quick. Suspected mastoiditis as there's white discharge along with the pain but not sure because most of the pain isn't at the top back, it's bottom back, underneath and at the front.

The nurse called the ENT department who want to look at it with a special machine but it doesn't operate at the weekends so they're going to call me tomorrow to come in. Then they'll either drain it or start iv antibiotics depending on what they find.

She said there was so much pus in there it was hard to even see the tympanic membrane.

Thanks for your spot on advice and push to get seen! Also have some super strength cocodamol and naproxen.

Haggisfish Sun 11-Sep-16 13:47:01

Yikes. Are you staying in or going home? Glad you went in!

Haggisfish Sun 11-Sep-16 13:47:41

Sorry just reread post. Hope you get some sleep.

Footle Mon 12-Sep-16 10:09:23

How are you today ?

PotOfYoghurt Mon 12-Sep-16 10:16:37

Much the same, still no improvement. Waiting for the hospital to call, although the I've just looked at my notes the nurse printed out for me to bring in and it says 'patient has been advised ENT will call tomorrow or Tuesday'. She never mentioned it might be Tuesday to me! I was thinking perhaps if I don't hear anything by 2pm I'll go back to the UCC and sit in the waiting room.

I want to have a shower and attempt to wash my hair but worried about a) getting water in my ear b) missing the call.

Weirdly my ear seemed less swollen yesterday evening, but this morning it's closed up again. I don't know why.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now