Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Told to cut down on fat

(19 Posts)
Goingtobeawesome Sat 10-Sep-16 18:11:13

When I don't feel I eat that much.

No alcohol, no cheese, no bread.

I'm not sure what to eat for each meal now even though I didn't eat a lot of bread or drink much. I do like cheese though.

Rockpebblestone Sat 10-Sep-16 18:15:59

Do you mind me asking, why? If it is for liver function or gall stones I could understand. However if just for weight loss or high cholesterol this is not necessary.

Goingtobeawesome Sat 10-Sep-16 18:17:47

When I was being examined it was very tender.

I sometimes have problems when I eat bread, I'm very bloated and windy at times,Mohave put on half a stone in a month but it's complicated by other medical issues.

Rockpebblestone Sat 10-Sep-16 18:19:13

Sorry, I might have misunderstood. Do you mean your own body fat or dietary fats?

(I assumed dietary fat in my earlier post.)

Rockpebblestone Sat 10-Sep-16 18:21:02

X post. Yes, I understand now. The advice makes sense. You'll be able to do it, with a few tweaks. What do you like eating?

Goingtobeawesome Sat 10-Sep-16 18:27:30

There are plenty of things I like eating but don't eat much due to the family being more fussy.

Fish, pasta, cauliflower cheese, jacket potato, vegetables, chicken, eggs, rice.

I don't always eat breakfast but recent ones have been weetabix, fruit tea cake, scrambled eggs.

Lunch could be cup a soup, dish of green veg with black pepper, cheese on toast, occasionally pasta dish.

Dinner could be shepherds pie, cheese and potato pie, jacket spud, fish.

I haven't been cooking as well lately as I'm not well but I want to get back to it.

I think I might have an intolerance to wheat. I don't always feel hungry then suddenly I'm starving and don't know what to eat and then panic if I can't eat quickly throw back to not being fed as a child or knowing when I'd next eat.

Rockpebblestone Sat 10-Sep-16 18:40:41

Well to cut back on fat you can steam the fish, use half fat cheese, lean mince drained of fat etc.

Fresh homemade soup will be much more nutritious than cup a soup. It doesn't have to takes load of prep. Just simmer chopped veg in stock for 30 mins, liquidise all for a smooth soup, half for a thick soup with bits, leave unliquidised for a broth with veg pieces.

If you want to cut some of the carbs ( helps with weight loss if you need this) you could substitute puréed cauliflower for mashed potato in shepherd's pie.

And if bread affects you, you can just try your meals without it. You can substitute pasta for spiralised courgette (sold in M&S and Aldi or you can cut the noodle shapes from courgettes with a spiraliser).

When you do have the energy cook something, why not make more than you need and freeze the rest, so you can half the time you need to spend cooking. Use a food processor as much as possible to chop veg - which will cut prep time too. Buy ready chopped fresh veg.

Rockpebblestone Sat 10-Sep-16 18:42:59

Quick lunches could also be pre-prepared salad and cooked meat/fish/ hard boiled egg.

Rockpebblestone Sat 10-Sep-16 18:45:02

Other than that can you get your family to help with cooking / food preparation?

Rockpebblestone Sat 10-Sep-16 18:46:51

It'd be great if you can build a stock of home cooked meals for those times you need to eat quickly.

Goingtobeawesome Sat 10-Sep-16 18:53:59

I keep forgetting how much I love making soup and how it's always delicious. Red pepper is a particular nice one as is one I can't remember now but has spring onions in and is green.

We do need to eat less meat and I have bought a big bag of salmon.

I can live without bread but would miss pasta so have bought some gluten free penne. Most of our veg is frozen as I have a tiny fridge.

I eat a good amount of salad but I don't do it right as it doesn't fill me up. I need more than leaves but haven't worked out what yet.

I think I'm allowed eggs. I like boiled and scrambled. Haven't tried cooking poached but have poach pods. Not overly keen on fried.

DH will always cook. New plan is no housework or cooking for me at the weekend as my back is agony right now after a fall three years ago.

AhAgain Sat 10-Sep-16 19:01:10

Sounds like your diet might be cheese heavy...

Ditch cheese on toast. Have either beans or tuna mayo (low fat Mayo) on your jacket potato. Don't put cheese on top of shepherds pie etc. Make sure pasta is with vegetable and tomato based sauces (and not cream and or cheese based sauces).

Rice is good. We have it a lot with fish/chicken and veg. I try to actively avoid red meat 5 days a week or more.

Porridge for breakfast?

Do you have lots of milky drinks?

Rockpebblestone Sat 10-Sep-16 19:05:46

A good amount of protein with the salad will help fill you up. So some nice meat or a couple of eggs and a bit of lowish in fat cheese or shavings of Parmesan (so strong you don't need much). I love a chopped peach with Parma ham with a bit of shaved Parmesan.

What is the problem with meat? A lot of meats are very lean but of course you can easily have fish instead.

Goingtobeawesome Sat 10-Sep-16 19:09:36

I don't eat cheese every day and have had it twice this week. Some of the meals mentioned I haven't had for weeks but I couldn't remember and feel I've not eaten properly for ages.

Not keen on tomato based sauces which is weird as I like raw tomatoes. Had beef yesterday for the first time in years. Slow cooked in the oven for three hours.

thank you. Great ideas.

Rockpebblestone Sat 10-Sep-16 19:13:38

Casseroles, slow cooked, would also be good. Plenty of veg can go in there and the prep is not too bad, one pot for cooking.

Goingtobeawesome Sun 11-Sep-16 13:40:22

I have a DD who eats very very little and is vegetarian so casseroles with her in mind would be good but I'm 99% sure she wouldn't eat it anyway.

Last three meals have been chicken thighs with loads of salad and they have been lovely. We'll have salmon and salad alternate days. Have got jacket potatoes for one day too.

Have lost a pound since I last weighed myself so I'm inspired to carry on with the exercising and good eating.

Rockpebblestone Mon 12-Sep-16 15:06:14

Great news. Looks like you have already had some success. smile

PollyPerky Mon 12-Sep-16 15:58:56

I'm confused .

Have you been advised by your GP or consultant to lose weight or just cut down on fat? The 3 foods you mention are all completely different.

If you've been told to reduce them is it to reduce your overall calories? Or is it gluten you've been told to avoid- ie in bread? That would tie in with feeling bloated if you are intolerant to gluten.

If so, it's not necessarily good advice IMO. It seems like whoever suggested it picked 3 things at random! For example, you can eat bread, even when trying to lose weight, but should cut out sugar and highly refined carbs- so that's cakes and biscuits and sweets etc.

I'm not sure why you've been told to eat like this? If you explain more, we can help more.

Goingtobeawesome Mon 12-Sep-16 17:17:28

I'm happy with the advice I've been given and understand fully why it has been given. I have medical issues plus one I didn't know I had so I'm working towards a better health situation.

Today I've exercised for an hour and will be having salmon or chicken and salad for dinner later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now